Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

King Ottokar's Sceptre: Do Syldavians Eat Dogs?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

catintinut
#11 · Posted: 29 Mar 2010 20:27
I actually don't think that the slaszeck was actually dog... I think that the proprietor was just saying that to get rid of Tintin and to get back at him for spying upstairs. I hope this makes dog lovers feel better!!!!

I also think that Tintin would not have said that it was good if it really was dog, because in Around the World in 80 days Phileas Fogg eats cat and finds it inedible. I doubt dog would taste much better.
jock123
#12 · Posted: 29 Mar 2010 21:36
catintinut:
I also think that Tintin would not have said that it was good if it really was dog, because in Around the World in 80 days Phileas Fogg eats cat and finds it inedible.

Hmmm... The problem with that is that there are many real cultures around the globe where dog is or has been eaten, which suggests that it must be at least edible; by comparison, Phileas Fogg's experience of eating cat is a fictional occurrence, and it is unlikely to be something of which Jules Verne had experience.
Even if he had, I don't know that cat and dog would be any more comparable than any other two species.

But I agree with your first point: the waiter is most likely having a joke!

Actually, this has put me in mind of this thread, about Tintin in America, and what is happening to the lost dogs (and cats and rats...!).
ilovetintin
#13 · Posted: 31 Mar 2010 01:43
I checked out the thread jock123 and I have only just realized the meaning of the lost posters right outside the cannery:( How sad!!!
doubleT
#14 · Posted: 2 Sep 2010 21:43
What I don't understand is how, in Asian countries that eat dog, is how they can do that even when they do have pet dogs, in China the pekingese, Shih Tzu, and some other small dog breeds where breed to be companions,in fact they were specifically breed to look like Foo Dogs(mythical creatures part lion and part dog that protected against evil spirits)

So I don't understand the distinction between dogs breed as pets and dogs breed as food, I mean a dog is a dog no matter the breed or even a stray dog, there all man's best friend(people's best friend would be more politically correct), it's especially hard for me as I love almost anything Oriental, and I'm kind of a student of the study of different cultures(what every it's called)

Some info would really be a big help, as I'm also gonna be doing a Tintin fanfic where Tintin goes to South Korea

Go to Wikipedia for more info on Foo Dogs, or any other mythical creatures for that matter
jock123
#15 · Posted: 3 Sep 2010 13:29
doubleT:
in Asian countries that eat dog, is how they can do that even when they do have pet dogs

But people in the west keep canaries and parrots as pets, but those who are carnivorous don’t think twice about eating a chicken or a turkey. What makes one bird a pet, and another one lunch?

People even keep chickens, pigs, goats and sheep as pets, but still eat meat from those species.

doubleT:
I don't understand the distinction between dogs breed as pets and dogs breed as food

If you look at it from the point of view of someone who eats dog meat, they would say exactly the same thing: it’s just that you see it as reason not to eat any dogs, and they might see it as a reason to eat all dogs…

doubleT:
I mean a dog is a dog no matter the breed or even a stray dog, there all man's best friend

As has been mentioned in this thread before, the idea of a dog as a “friend” is a cultural notion, not held around the world. I mean a wolf or a coyote or a fox is a type of dog, but they are characterized in many cultures as pests, who would eat live-stock or attack humans, regardless of whether or not it is fact. They then get killed, or at least marginalized and shunned.

Other cultures see them as wise and brave or cunning and deceitful, but all in all, they are just animals going about their business of survival.
tuhatkauno
#16 · Posted: 3 Sep 2010 15:24
Times are changing and attitudes as well. Nobody eats horse's meat any more in Finland but in my youth (30 y ago) it was a delicacy. As far as I remember it was dark, salty and tasty but I can live without it nowadays. It is almost impossible to get anywhere.

One of our delicacies is raindeer's meat. Fried reindeer meat with mashed potatoes and cowberry jam, a taste of the wilderness. But I have heard Alglo-Americans might have something against the idea of eating reindeer. Am I right?
I've always thought the waiter was lying about the slaszeck, to get Tintin frightened.
Ranko
#17 · Posted: 3 Sep 2010 21:05
tuhatkauno:
One of our delicacies is raindeer's meat. Fried reindeer's meat with mashed potatoes and cowberryjam, a taste of wilderness. But I have heart alglo-americans might have something against the idea of eating raindeer. Am I right?

That sounds rather delicious although I have no idea what cowberry jam tastes like! I don't have a problem with it at all. I guess it's all in the name for some people. With reindeer I suppose the immediate thought is 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer', too cute, I can't eat that.

Or, some meat that is exotic and weird. The word 'venison' used to apply to reindeer as well. Maybe we should just start calling it venison again and get people eating it?

It's very low in fat and a nice change from beef.
tuhatkauno
#18 · Posted: 6 Sep 2010 22:45
Ranko:
I have no idea what cowberry jam tastes like!

Sour is the right word describing the taste.

Ranko:
It's very low in fat and a nice change from beef.

Say no more, Mr. Ranko. I can recommend it to you, and all game animals, fish, berries and mushrooms.

To be honest the traditional Finnish homefood is not worth of eating. I remember we ate every day something "brown stuff" in 70's. Thank God Italian, Chinese and other foreign kitchens entered Finland finally. And the good old brown times will never come back again. In 70's the most liked schooldish was called "plumber's puke" (mixed mashed potatoes and minced meat) and the most disliked was "dog's puke" (carrots, turnips and liver in white sauce) due to their appearance. Yikes!
robbo
#19 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 00:58
tuhatkauno:
"dog's puke" (carrots, turnips and liver in white sauce) due to their appearance. Yikes!

Strange how different cultures even within Europe have completely different attitudes towards food - I've heard Germans also describe their food in such dismissively jokey terms. You can't imagine Italians using such names for dishes.

I'm always quite interested in the way food makes an appearance in Tintin books, it often seems to be a source of humour involving Snowy; as in Red Rackham's Treasure and The Shooting Star.

In the French version of Shooting Star they have choucroute garnie as opposed to sausages and mash in the English translation - quite a different dish.

Mat
tuhatkauno
#20 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 08:06
robbo:
describe their food in such dismissively jokey terms

Nobody uses "jokey terms" at home. The favourite dish "Plumber's puke" is served in schoool or works canteen and very delicious yellow vanilla dessert "Sergeant's phlegm" in army.

robbo:
I'm always quite interested in the way food makes an appearance in Tintin books, it often seems to be a source of humour involving Snowy

Now you mentioned, I always get hungry when I read Asterix, but Tintin seems to eat to keep wheels spinning, not to enjoy.

Ps. Robbo, The Flounder by Günther Grass is the best cookery book I have ever read. :-)

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!