Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

I've just bought my first new Tintin book in over 10 years!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Balthazar
#11 · Posted: 7 Apr 2010 01:01
orange2009:
Also, the original edition consisted of 124 pages and was in French. Other than the covers, it was a black and white edition.The new version by Egmont with the original front cover has 62 pages.Thus, it would not match the style and authenticity of the original or 1st edition.

Yes, but it isn't trying or claiming to be a facsimile of the original 124-page black and white edition. It's a facsimile of Hergé's first colour version of the book, that was published in 1943, and which thus came between the original b/w version and the redrawn 1960s version.

Whilst calling the English facsimile edition of this first colour version a facsimile could be said to be stretching the definition of facsimile (since it was obviously never translated into English in 1943), this isn't some inauthentically colourized and repaginated repackaging of the original black-and-white book. Translation and digital lettering aside, it's a faithful copy of Hergé's 1943 62-page colour book. (And you can get this facsimile edition in French if you want it to be fully authentic.)

Maybe you knew all that, but from your post, I wasn't sure if you were aware of this 1943 first colour version. Sorry if I misunderstood you and have offered this rambling explanation for nothing!

I share your admiration for the 1960s redrawn version, though. I agree that it's the version Hergé was happy to have out there, and, perhaps because I've known it since childhood, I've never really felt any of the lack of charm or vibrancy that others clearly do when comparing it to the 1943 version. But the 1943 version is very nice too - it's like having a bonus extra Tintin book - and it's great to have the two side by side for frame-by-frame comparison!

I can't remember if there's yet been an English translation of a facsimile edition of the original 1930s b/w version, for those who want to read all three side by side in English! Someone will know.
orange2009
#12 · Posted: 9 Apr 2010 17:49
Thank you for sharing the opinion. While writing I had a different thought line as I have recently taken up re-reading Tintin after a long time and without having my earlier comics series.I was thinking on the lines, that if one has to re-read 'The Black Island' and that if it were to be the 1st copy after a long time, one may go for the edition which was read on the 1st occasion. Of course, if you have the other editions you have the complete set for Black Island and can compare best.

Regarding the earliest english editions the 1966 version was the 1st one and Methuen the 1st publisher.

I had once come across a video interview of Herge on YouTube (with English sub titles)wherein he says that Tintin has always kept up to his times.This is also reflected in the Tintin series wherein earlier editions had pictures of older days such as dress, types of cars, travel e.t.c as compared to pictures in the later editions.So there is an emphasis on sticking to the times.

Egmont has made changes to the front cover in the recent hardback series.While it has changed some of the covers of earlier titles to that of earlier editions (America, Broken Ear, Black Island and Ottokar) it has retained the re-drawn cover for Cigars and Blue Lotus. It may be due to appeal and hence better marketability. Another thing I noticed was the change from the title 'Flight 714' in the earlier editions to ' Flight 714 to Sydney' in the present ones.Why did they do this?,it's changing the story name! These did make me think of maintaining authenticity standards.
jock123
#13 · Posted: 9 Apr 2010 22:00
orange2009:
Egmont has made changes to the front cover in the recent hardback series.While it has changed some of the covers of earlier titles to that of earlier editions (America, Broken Ear, Black Island and Ottokar) it has retained the re-drawn cover for Cigars and Blue Lotus.

I must confess to being lost here, and uncertain of your point.
In what way have Egmont made changes to the covers?
If you are talking about the albums which have been issued in “facsimile” editions, it might be that you have missed the point of them: they are editons which match closely earlier versions of the books, they do not replace the standard editions. So Black Island - to take a single example - is currently available in English in two of the three versions in which it was released by Hergé, while he was still alive: the first coloured, 62 page version from 1943, based on the 1938 black and white version (that is the version not yet available in English), and the later 1966 updated and totally redrawn book, which is the "standard" text.
So it isn’t just covers which have "changed" - it’s content too - they are different books. This wasn’t done by Egmont; these reproductions were first issued in French.

orange2009:
Another thing I noticed was the change from the title 'Flight 714' in the earlier editions to ' Flight 714 to Sydney' in the present ones.Why did they do this?

This was done at the request of Moulinsart, who had been asked why the English title omitted the destination (Vol 714 pour Sydney being its original French title).
This has actually been covered in another thread, so it’s best to do a search of the forums before posting a question to see if the information is there; you’ll find discussion of the facsimiles too.
orange2009
#14 · Posted: 10 Apr 2010 09:12
Thank you for the informative reply.

Yes,I had referred to the 2008 facsimile hardback editions by Egmont. I was unaware that the content too is that of the earlier French editions, though I have been aware of the earlier editions and the covers and that they have been adopted in the latest facsimile editions.

Thank you also for letting me know about Vol 714 pour Sydney.
Abdullah007
#15 · Posted: 10 May 2010 13:00
Wow - £15 pounds is heaps! Only 10 years ago in England, I was buying Tintin books nonstop for only £5.99. It was all I ever spent my pocket money on as a kid. And because of that, I've got almost all of them now. B)
orange2009
#16 · Posted: 14 Aug 2010 08:57
I just finished reading the color facsimile edition of 'The Black Island'.Referring to my earlier post(s),I had done a search on the book details not knowing that the 2nd format was a color edition that is different from the first black & white version.Apart from the color,the front covers for the two versions are not very different.This had made me overlook the difference between the 1938 & 1943 versions.Of course, having received information on the version from Balthazar & Jock123 the details of the version became quite clear.

Reading the facsimile version was quite enjoyable.Also, I was unaware of colored Matt paper till I received this edition.It's a book that's very well done.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!