Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Quick & Flupke: Outrageous Beach Wear?!

rodney
#1 · Posted: 17 Apr 2010 09:27
Whilst reading the "Natural Disaster" episode in Two of a Kind recently I was really drawn by the supporting characters in the background of this tale.

Look at them!! (if you have the 1992 edition by Mammoth on hand)

Was this the way people in 1930/40 dressed while they were at the beach? It looks quite outrageous!!
Forgive me for my outburst but wouldn't you be really uncomfortable in some of the garments the older people are wearing?

Perhaps this was the style of the time but it seems many of them are really overdressed and would be very hot!!

Is this a true indication of the dress period of the time?

Sorry for my ignorance - I was born in 1981 :)
mct16
#2 · Posted: 17 Apr 2010 13:27
Not having the book on hand all that I can say is that people did tend to overdress in those days even when going in a hot climate. It was just the attitude of the time. Even in the 1950s, a woman appearing on the beach in a bikini could be arrested for indecency.
Rocky
#3 · Posted: 30 Jul 2010 19:37
It's a beach in northern Europe - it's probably not very warm! :-)
Richard1631978
#4 · Posted: 30 Jul 2010 20:33
Until the late 1940s it wasn't common even for grown men to go topless on beaches, hence those bathing costumes The Thompson's are wearing in Land Of Black Gold.

My Grandads weren't that keen on taking much off, one seemed to wear a smart shirt & lounge suit on holiday & just not wear a tie.

The other still wore trousers on the beach, & managed to sunburn a band around each ankle by sitting in the sun with his legs in the open with a small gap between his trouser legs & socks.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!