Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Quick & Flupke: What are the stories like?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

rodney
#1 · Posted: 17 Apr 2010 09:41
Can we expect any more of these to be released in English?
To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) only two volumes have been published:
Two of a Kind
Double Trouble

Would you say that these two are representative of the Quick & Flupke series, or are there many other funny ones we are yet to see? Are they the best to Quick & Flupke?
Do you think the translators got the tone right?

It seems odd that these were the only titles ever to get published in English. Any idea why not?
Do we know how well these two volumes sold? I know they are quite rare on the collector market.
Is there a realistic chance we could see a complete episodes of the exploits of these crazy rascals?
Being a fan it would be great to see this in an English edition, but is it feasible?
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 18 Apr 2010 00:46
rodney:
To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) only two editions have been published:
Two of a Kind
Double Trouble

Egmont published two books just last year - Under Full Sail and Fasten Your Seat Belt and hopefully there will be more to follow. And back in 2007 another publisher in India called Eurobooks released the 11 Hergé Quick & Flupke titles in English.

Read these threads about them:
Quick and Flupke to be published in US/UK
Quick & Flupke debut in India
daveahl
#3 · Posted: 4 May 2010 16:21
The English translations in the first two books published by Egmont in the UK are okay, but not perfect. The real problem is that many of the Quick & Flupke strips have a double gag: the obvious, visual one and a not-so-obvious language gag, which might be a pun or a "sounds-like" word. These language gags just don't translate well and the translator has to either drop it altogether (which is what they did in the first two books) or try for a related gag in English.

Link removed.

Moderator Note:
Thanks for the interesting info, daveahl; however as you are reproducing entire strips on your site, for copyright reasons which might adversely affect Tintinologist.org, we can't accept the link to your site, and have had to remove it as per our posting guidelines.
The Tintinologist Team
glendale
#4 · Posted: 5 May 2010 01:56
Quick & Flupke – what great memories they bring of my childhood in Belgium!
Fantastic in French, as they are so typically Brusselois city kids or ketjes, and I do believe having read somewhere that Hergé associated so well with this.
I can understand that the English version tends to lose some of it, but hey...! Great reading!

I noticed that you also get these at www.bookdepository.co.uk with free shipping anywhere in the world(Moderator I am not associated with them, I just use them as good value)
Rocky
#5 · Posted: 30 Jul 2010 19:43
I've just got hold of the complete set of 11 in English published by Eurobooks (India). If anyone has any questions about them let me know.
TintinDownUnder
#6 · Posted: 27 Nov 2010 04:49
Hi Rocky,
I just have some queries about the Quick & Flupke books.
where did you buy them from?
Is it the complete set?
Are the books good quality, are they paperback or hardback?
And if you don't mind me asking how much did the set cost?
I am from Australia so finding these books is hard. I am trying to collect all of Hergé's works.

Thanks
Tintin Down Under
Jollywagg
#7 · Posted: 27 Nov 2010 15:55
Here you go! I think this is
what Rocky is referring to. I picked up a set when I was down in India.

1. where did you buy them from?
A: India. The bad news. They WILL NOT ship. This online store also has a physical store in Bombay. I bought mine there.

http://www.landmarkonthenet.com/Product/Collection.aspx?ColType=Bundle &ColID=12

2. Is it the complete set?
A: Yes. All 11 published in French were translated.

3. Are the books good quality, are they paperback or hardback?
A: They are good. Paper is better than the UK editions. Translations are fine. But you *really* do not need translations for Quick and Flupke. Most are 2 page jokes/gags.

4. And if you don't mind me asking how much did the set cost?
A: 39.8 USD or 25.8 GBP for the whole set of 11 books
Rocky
#8 · Posted: 27 Nov 2010 16:32
Hi TintinDownUnder,
Mr Wagg has preempted most of my answers.
I bought them from an online Indian store [Broken link removed] for delivery to my dad, who was on holiday in there at the time.
Cost £26.
Paperback quality is OK.
The speech bubble text is, unfortunately, Comic Sans typeface.
My copies all have a non-removable sticker across the bottom of the cover: "Quick & Flupke is a comic book series by Hergé, the writer and illustrator of the famous Tintin comics."
Whilst there are many visual gags, there are also a lot of speech bubbles, without an understanding of which the gags don't work, so I'm glad I got this translated set.
Although this is the complete set of 11 Hergé-written books, the French set includes one more, High Tension (Haute Tension) which is not by Hergé, but by Johan de Moor, the son of Hergé's colleague Bob De Moor.
TintinDownUnder
#9 · Posted: 27 Nov 2010 16:35
Thanks mate!
I've been looking out for these books for a while now, thanks for the reply. I have a friend going to India so I will ask them to have a look into it for me. I have all of Hergé's Tintin adventures (colour & B&W), along with his Jo, Zette & Jocko.
Now I'm after all of his earlier works such as Quick & Flupke (colour & B&W), but I've looked just about everywhere here in Australia, and, as other people have said, Hergé's B&W editions and other works are hard to find!

Thank-you for your kind help.
glendale
#10 · Posted: 2 Dec 2010 04:05
Hi TintinDownUnder!
I am also downunder, and bought two Quick & Flupke books, in English, for my Grandson, from www.bookdepository.com.
They cost A$10.46 each, and shipping to Aussie is free.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!