Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

New Book: "Hergé in His Own Words"

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 12:14
Just got the new book Hergé in His Own Words - I shall review it soon!
It's a smart little book, looks like a good read.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 12:51
That's good to know that it's out: do you know if it is a new version of the book from the Pompidou exhibition?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it - if it is like the Pompidou book, you should find it really interesting.
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 13:37
Is this the one you are referring to, Jock?
The book I have is 64 pages; that book from the Pompidou centre has a staggering 1054, so if it's the same, it's extremely condensed!
jock123
#4 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 13:49
number1fan:
is this the one you are referring to Jock.
Yes, that's the one I have
number1fan:
The book I have is 64 pages; that book from the Pompidou centre has a staggering 1054, so if it's the same, it's extremely condensed!
I wondered because as you say they are quite different in size ("staggering" is just the right word to describe it, as it is like half a house-brick, wrapped in cardboard covers); however the design of the Pompidou book is somewhat arty, and there are lots of pages without text, just showing images, or at least with very few words on, so I don't know if you would actually get more than 64 pages of "proper" text out of it...
number1fan
#5 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 13:55
Is that book in French or is it in English?
jock123:
as it is like half a house-brick, wrapped in cardboard covers
Ha-ha! Yeah! That's what really stopped me from collecting the Chronolgie series - 6 volumes take up a lot of space.
But at least we don't get fobbed- or ripped-off for our money: you get quite a lot of Tintin!
Did you purchase the book from the Pompidou Centre?
I'm still yet to go; I will go there soon, as I have a few long weekends coming up. Might make the trip over to Belgium.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 14:11
number1fan:
Did you purchase the book from the Pompidou centre.
Yes, as it happens, but unfortunately the weekend after the exhibition closed!
I'd to be in Paris for something else, and couldn't afford to go twice... ;-/
I got to see a lot of museum people taking down boards and peeling off a lot of little sticky pads where the captions to the exhibits had been...
To be honest, I've not been very lucky with the Pompidou and Tintin...
The Moon-themed Ils on marché sur la lune Tintin exhibition was on in a building on the far side of the square from the Pompidou in 1985, but the day I was in Paris as a student, although the Pompidou itself was open, the exhibition was closed for a public holiday...
I had to stand on a box and look in a window, and even then couldn't see anything but the back of a model of Tintin in his space-suit...

number1fan:
Im still yet to go I will go there soon
I'd be interested to know if the pages of art which were donated by the Fondation are on show if you go; don't miss the roof terrace as well, as it has tremendous views over the city.

number1fan:
I have a few long weekends coming up might make the trip over to Belgium.
You can get to Paris from Brussels quite easily, but there is more Tintin stuff to do in Brussels, that for a long weekend I'd choose to go there, if I were you.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!