Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

How do you deal with people who bully Tintin fans?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

number1fan
#21 · Posted: 6 May 2010 17:26
jock123:
Then simply ignore it; it isn't compulsory to follow every thread

Then my threads were locked couldn't you just have ignored them like I will this.
jock123
#22 · Posted: 6 May 2010 22:49
Balthazar:
I disagree with Jock a wee bit, and I think that we may have failed to get to the root of this problem.

I'm sure that we haven't, so the more people tackling this issue, the better; I think the more airing this gets, the better the understanding of the situation becomes.

number1fan:
Then my threads were locked couldn't you just have ignored them like I will this.

No, you know that the reason your recent threads were locked because they didn't conform to posting guidelines; that is completely different to stopping a thread because it bores you.
But glad to see that you have taken on board the fact that you don't have to like every topic.
mct16
#23 · Posted: 6 May 2010 23:31
tintinophile691
From your description of life with your classmates and your teacher, it seems to me that you are in the same situation that I was at school. As I have pointed out I have Asperger's Syndrome.

You say that you "practise neurodiversity". Does that mean that you have actually been diagnosed with autism or Asperger's?
ilovetintin
#24 · Posted: 7 May 2010 23:58
My friends say you STILL read THAT??And laugh at me, so I never tell anyone anymore that I read Tintin cause I'm just like *blush blush* yes I read that. It's kind of cowardly of me.
Grey
#25 · Posted: 8 May 2010 11:59
I don't get bullied, per se, I simply get strange, weird looks from any of my friends and have Tintin automatically stereotyped for being a comic. Tintin isn't as well known by my generation as I wished they could; they simply know of a blond reporter with his little dog running around on adventures to who-knows-where.
Now, with my school friends, they appear to tolerate this liking of mine but are rather badly informed about what the comics are really about. I have two examples here:

- In my Drama class whilst thinking of ideas for our devising piece, I recalled a scene from the theatre adaptation of Tibet and specifically the scene where Tintin entered the plane, becoming haunted by the 'corpses'. I mentioned it because I thought it would be intriguing to use as inspiration. The reactions from some of my group?
"Oh why did you mention that? Tintin's supposed to be happy, not sad and depressing."
"It does sound good, I'll admit, but I don't think we should use that kind of technique."
"What's Tintin?"

- Recently I picked up a copy of The Rainbow Orchid in my school library, and took it back to my table alongside my friends. Casually I put it down, and the friends around the table looked at it. The reactions from them?
"Is that Tintin?"
Me: "No, it's a comic album inspired by Tintin."
"... Right, so it IS basically Tintin."

This is the part that did annoy me: The girl who said Tintin was meant to be happy was also the same girl asked about the comic. She's a Lord Of The Rings fan, and is one of the stranger females in my year yet her interest wrings more people than Tintin ever does, because of the recent films and games. If somebody generalises LOTR for her, she'll argue and win. If somebody generalises Tintin for me like she did, I'll try to argue back my beliefs but the lack of interest drops more than a ACME Ton on Wile E. Coyote.

I disliked using my friend as a example, but she is one of many who doesn't understand Tintin even if I tried my best to explain as normally or bizarrely as possible. Sharing this interest is hard, especially in today's standards where it's all about CGI films, state-of-the-art video games and celebrities.

But oddly enough, I don't care if anyone doesn't understand, like or see my liking for Tintin. I have my right to be interested in something that catches my eyes, that's different and not as popular as LOTR. After all, fiction was made to entertain and fantasise; pure escapism. Disregarding that for anybody isn't fair.
Abdullah007
#26 · Posted: 10 May 2010 12:58
Yes, I got constantly picked on for reading Tintin in highschool, and still do now.... but I still love it, and so do my cousins, Dad, Uncles, Grandpa.

Maybe I'm wrong, but is bullying people because they still read Tintin more common in Australia (where I live) and in the US? Because if so, that would make sense. It's not as big a 'cult' here as it is in Europe, where almost every school kid is mad about it. When I saw the Tintin musical in Belgium several years ago, there were lots of school kids there. They absolutely loved it, and were stomping their feet on the ground whenever tintin came out on stage! But here, many kids have never even heard of this Belgian comic hero - makes me wonder if they've actually grown up yet, without reading Tintin! ha ha

As you say Grey, I've also had the experience of reading another comic, and people will say something like "Why are you reading Tintin?" or "Hey look, he's reading a kid's book!"
Guynemer
#27 · Posted: 11 May 2010 08:30
Dealing with bullies, I'm a veteran (and in some cases, the victim. I'm a Tintin and Lord of the Rings fan, and have argued on behalf of both at school.

Today almost everyone was mocking me for reading a Tintin comic at lunch (I'm in secondary school).

How did I deal with it? I just ignored them and they got bored.
hadtins
#28 · Posted: 3 Mar 2014 18:59
Well, in my case, nobody has exactly bullied me, but our history teacher at school told us that people reading Tintin should go down to kindergarten. I know that it only proves how very very limited the knowledge of that teacher(if you do say that) is. But all the same, that made my blood boil in my veins, and got me hoping that the ceiling fan should drop on her just at that moment. My friends told me that the only way to pay her back was by getting top marks in history, but I feel as though I can't stop myself from giving her a piece of my mind. So can anyone tell me what I could tell her without arousing her temper and yet let her know how wrong she had been before? Thanks.
mct16
#29 · Posted: 3 Mar 2014 23:13
You could point out to her that "Tintin" dealt with a lot of adult themes and issues and also reflected contemporary (for us, historical) events, many of which would mean little to most people, but would be of interest to students of history like herself. "Blue Lotus" for instance highlighted the Japanese and Western occupation of China and included a fictional depiction of the real-life Mukden Incident in which a railway was blown up in order to justify an invasion of China. Also, I, and I am sure many others, had never heard of Shangai's International Settlement before I read that book.

"Broken Ear" is set on a fictional depiction of the Chaco War of 1932–1935 which was also about acquiring oil fields. Does anyone outside of South America even know of that war?

Other examples are "King Ottokar's Sceptre" which surrounds a fictional Anschluss, based on Germany's annexation of Austria prior to World War Two; and "Calculus Affair" is based on the Cold War and the acquiring of weapons of mass destruction.

No really the sort of issues to raise with kindergarten kids are they?

Someone like her who enjoys history ought to know better than to dismiss a series which preserves the memory of past events and might even encourage some to look more deeply into those events and find out more about them.
hadtins
#30 · Posted: 4 Mar 2014 18:22
Thanks, mct16, I'll tell her about that tomorrow in our history class. She ought to upgrade her knowledge regarding history, really. I doubt if she knows even what a sarcophagus is, let alone Gran Chaco War or an OGPU. It's she who ought to go to kindergarten, I feel. She knows nothing except movies it seems. Honestly, I never thought that a day like this would come. Anyway, thanks a lot once again.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!