Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Alcazar: a hero?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

jockosjungle
#11 · Posted: 26 Sep 2004 18:47
Didn't he buy the mosquitoes on credit? I'm pretty sure he paid in monthly installments

Rik
jayesh_gokhale
#12 · Posted: 28 Sep 2004 09:59
Yeah he did buy them on monthly installments, but still the monthly installment for the number of mosquitoes he ordered would be more that his 10 years income as Ramon Zarate (unless he got endorsements from Pepsi/Coke :))
jockosjungle
#13 · Posted: 28 Sep 2004 10:54
I understand your point but maybe he thought to worry about the payments later.

I could probably go out now and get a new car with a loan from one of those dodgy companies on TV, but I wouldn;t be able to afford to pay it back!

Rik
Jyrki21
#14 · Posted: 28 Sep 2004 16:57
I could probably go out now and get a new car with a loan from one of those dodgy companies on TV, but I wouldn;t be able to afford to pay it back!

Not until you conquered your country and raided its coffers, anyway... :)

As far as we know, this attempt never worked for Alcazar (as next we hear of him, Tapioca's back in power), so he must have really been up the creek with Dawson...
jockosjungle
#15 · Posted: 28 Sep 2004 18:49
Maybe he just repossessed all his assets! Hence he's living in a tent in the Picaros?

Rik
quiff of hair
#16 · Posted: 6 Oct 2004 19:39
Surely Alcazar is simply a political allegory?
His changing stance and character reflect the world's politics at the time each book was written.
This would explain that whilst Alcazar wants Tintin killed in The Broken Ear, he is friends again by the time of Seven Crystal Balls.
He is simply a device that Hergé is using to make statements on the world's politics.
The same can be said of the country of Syldavia. It is a soveriegnty in King Ottokar's Sceptre, and some Eastern Blocc territory in Destination Moon.
SamCurt
#17 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 16:47
The same can be said of the country of Syldavia. It is a soveriegnty in King Ottokar's Sceptre and some Eastern Block territory in Destination Moon.
No, Syldavia is a Western block country; Borduria is supposed to be in the East IMO.

Moderator Note: It's more telling if you actually provide a reason for contradicting someone else's opinion. Why do you think that it isn't Eastern Block?
kirthiboy
#18 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 19:57
Alcazar must be having a different opinion of Tintin especially after Picaros. Do you get to see Alcazar in Alph-art?

Also, as far as good guys are concerned. Even Thomson and Thompson are not such good souls. Many times Tintin solved the case while Thompson and Thomson decided to take the credit. They have a bit ego to when they don't immediately agree with Tintin in Castafiore Emrald when Tintin tells them about where the emrald is hidden.

Captain Haddock is a good soul but he always have to fight with his conscience especially with the desire to touch spirits. Like in Red Sea Sharks, he goes for Tintin while his whisky bottle breaks.

But one character whom I hate the most is Jolyon Wagg!

Back topic: i think Alcazar's policy is simple: give and take. He seemed pretty happy later in Red Sea Sharks when he talks to Dawson on phone regarding Tintin returning his wallet. But I guess Tintin pretty much wanted to help Alcazar as he was the best way to save Thomson and Thompson and others in Picaros.
snafu
#19 · Posted: 27 Feb 2005 22:25
Alcazar is interesting in that he is the only Tintin character who has been both friendly with him and who has also tried to kill him. The only reason they're friends is because Tintin was accidently on the winning side in "The Broken Ear". Imagine if Tapioca overthrew Alcazar in that scene and if Tintin shouted "Long live general Tapioca!" That'd be a very different story!!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!