Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

King Ottokar's Sceptre: Do Syldavians Eat Dogs?

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Ranko
#21 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 11:32
Well I must admit, I'm a little partial to 'plumbers puke'. I tend to use the Scots name for it though, 'mince and tatties'. Sounds a little more palatable. :-)

I agree with you about Asterix. When Obelix tears into those wild boars my stomach starts rumbling!

That's quite interesting about the food, robbo. I wouldn't mind checking out more of the comparisons.
I've just looked at Shooting Star. Very different dish but good job by the translators to realise that by looking at the picture it could be passed off as plain old sausages and mash.
robbo
#22 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 14:53
tuhatkauno:
Nobody uses "jokey terms" at home. The favourite dish "Plumber's puke" is served in schoool or works canteen and very delicious yellow vanilla dessert "Sergeant's phlegm" in army.

I see, thanks for enlightening me:)

tuhatkauno:
Now you mentioned, I always get hungry when I read Asterix, but Tintin seems to eat to keep wheels spinning, not to enjoy.

Oh I always get hungry when I come to those food scenes in Tintin; travelling always builds up an appetite!

tuhatkauno:
Ps. Robbo, The Flounder by Günther Grass is the best cookery book I have ever read. :-)

Thanks for the recommendation - I admit I've never read any Gunther Grass, I do love the film The Tin Drum; I will put it on my to read list.

Mat
robbo
#23 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 14:59
Ranko:
That's quite interesting about the food, robbo. I wouldn't mind checking out more of the comparisons.

Yes, maybe one of us will find another dish somewhere that has changed in translation.

Mat
jock123
#24 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 17:59
Ranko:
I tend to use the Scots name for it though, 'mince and tatties'. Sounds a little more palatable. :-)

Ah, a man with a very discriminating palate! Although I think the dish as described sounds a bit more like the (delicious!) alternative of “stovies”.

As the linked article says, the actual meat content (and indeed recipe) of stovies varies from place to place and person to person, depending on budget etc., but it’s a staple of the country nonetheless.

Venison is also a lovely meat, so try it if you can. I don’t think I’ve had reindeer, but it certainly used to be on sale from the managed herd in the Cairngorms.
tuhatkauno
#25 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 18:29
Stovies ... very impressive Jock, now you are talking! :-)

Just one question. Does it taste same what it looks like or is it delicious as I doubt?

EDIT. Oh, you have already said it Jock, it is delicious.
jock123
#26 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 21:40
tuhatkauno:
Does it taste same what it looks like or is it delicious as I doubt?

Actually, if you google on the word “stovies” for images, some of the pictures do look quite, well, dubious… :-O
Ranko
#27 · Posted: 8 Sep 2010 11:20
Stovies
Clootie Dumpling
White Pudding
Potted Hough
Arbroath Smokies
Shortbread.

Delicious.

I've had the lot. My wife's side of the family are Scots. :)
little martine
#28 · Posted: 9 Sep 2010 03:17
I am living in a dog-eating country but never ate one..

(can't believe that some people actually eat dogs.)
orange2009
#29 · Posted: 1 Feb 2011 14:52
Perhaps Syldavians do eat dog meat as they had retained a medieval culture,as per the Syldavia tourist brochure. However, the chap at the restaurant might have felt that the threat bill was not enough for both Tintin & Snowy & thereby found a good opportunity to include Snowy as a target with his Syldavian quote excuse.Or he may not have liked dogs in his restaurant.
little martine
#30 · Posted: 1 Feb 2011 18:21
good point...
But most likely to use it as an excuse I mean, he saw him lurking about up the stairs where the Syldavians were and the man was one of them...(possibly)
It's the only way I look at it.

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!