Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How popular is Tintin in your country?

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

ThompsonandThomson
#1 · Posted: 11 Sep 2010 12:17
Since there are Tintin fans all over the world here, I think I am able to ask a question that I'm interested in for many years: How is the Tintin series popular in your country? I know it is very famous in Western Europe, but not so popular in the United States and Asia.

Well, since I am Chinese, I introduce the circumstance in China: the Tintin series was first introduced to China in the 1980s, which are two "pirate" editions, one in early 1980s, one in late 1980s. After the "Cultural Revolution", there are few foreign comics available in China, and Tintin is among them. The result is that there are lots of Chinese Tintin fans who are about 40 years old now. However, while the pirate editions are selling well, there are not new translations, and then few people read it in the 1990s.

In 2001, the first legal Chinese version came out, which was translated from the English version. This version aroused many old Tintin fans' memory, and it also made some high school students pay attention to the series. In 2010 the second Chinese version - translated from the original French version - was published. However, few people acclaim the new version, for the translation is not flexible.

Nowadays, the Tintin series remains the most famous European comic in China (much more famous than Asterix), but it is much less popular than American and Japanese cartoons). While most Chinese have heard of the series, not many of them have read it.
Rianna Lauren
#2 · Posted: 11 Sep 2010 12:51
I'm not sure on how it circulated in the first place (although it's been here since my mom was young - she's as crazy about Tintin as I am :D), but I would like to set something straight - Tintin is quite well known around Asia. Southeast, at least. I'm from Indonesia and if you walk down the street and ask, "Do you know Tintin?" they'd most likely say yes. "Guy with the quiff and little white dog, going around the world and stuff." Most of my Asian online friends know Tintin. And most of the American's don't. XD
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 12 Sep 2010 03:27
There's not much to say that hasn't already been said. Here in Australia, Tintin and Asterix have been rather popular, given how few book shops sell them. Asterix is the more popular one but many Australians could at least tell you who Tintin was, a good few of those from watching the Nelvana animated series on TV. The Tintin books were almost always out on loan at libraries. They youngest generation probably aren't as familiar with Tintin but still there are those who enjoy the comics. I'm sure that the movie will do well in Australia and help to create more new fans.
ThompsonandThomson
#4 · Posted: 12 Sep 2010 06:18
As far as I know the circumstance in Asia is various in different areas. It seems that Tintin is very popular in Indonesia, and there are also many Tintin fans in Iran, Turkey, South Korea, Japan and Vietnam. However, there maybe are fewer readers in some Asian countries such as India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Arabic countries.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 14 Sep 2010 23:02
ThompsonandThomson:
there maybe are fewer readers in some Asian countries such as India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia

I'm not certain on what you are basing these assertions - Tintin, and Hergé are extremely popular in India, for example (hence the publication of Quick and Flupke happening far more quickly than in the U.K.). His popularity in Iran and Vietnam seem less certain to me.

Until we know how you are measuring the level of popularity, and from where you get the information, it's a bit difficult to do anything but guess.
tuhatkauno
#6 · Posted: 14 Sep 2010 23:39
Tintin is highly respected and very popular in Finland. I don't have any numbers but I've got a feeling that few decades ago young people read Tintin more than nowadays. Everyone seemed to read Asterix, Lucky Luke, Donald Duck and Tintin in my youth, we didn't have much choice then. Ok, I exaggerate little bit, but that's how things were.
Rianna Lauren
#7 · Posted: 15 Sep 2010 01:09
Yes, agreeing with jock here. There are many Tintin fans from India and Sri Lanka. In fact, almost half of my Tintin fan buddies that found me on Facebook or Twitter or such are from there. XD
Karaboudjan
#8 · Posted: 6 Dec 2010 22:00
As a Brit I can say Tintin is fairly popular here, but it tends to be nostalgia related (the most ardent fans are over forty). It's slightly eccentric to like them if you're younger, and even more so if you're a girl. One of the best things about the UK is comics (or graphic novels, take your pick) are virtually mainstream; any decent bookshop has a comics section. Alas, it doesn't receive the same exposure anime dies, but hopefully the movie will change that.
laloga
#9 · Posted: 8 Dec 2010 21:58
Sadly, Tintin is not at all popular here in the US, which I'm hoping will change once the movie comes out. I know one or two others that read some of the comics in French class, but I've only known two other people, (my brother and my husband), who have seen the Nelvana cartoons.

If you ask someone about Tintin, they think you mean "Rin Tin Tin." *sigh*
glendale
#10 · Posted: 8 Dec 2010 22:50
I would have thought that Tintin was better known in the US.
Some time back he was actually featured in one of the Simpson episodes. I think it was Lisa that was reading one of the books.
Here in Aussie a lot of kids are aware of him and kids TV shows have shown the Tintin movies repeatedly.I have a bookshop poster at home of Tintin and snowy that was given to me when one of our bookshop chain stores had a promotion.
My kids were brought up knowing and enjoying Tintin as my father had done before me and now my grandkids do also we are three generations of Tintin lovers to the point that last week I was in hospital for three days and my daughter came to visit and gave me a small plush Snowy to add to my collection.

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!