Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

"The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" (1958): Has anyone seen it?

worcestershire
#1 · Posted: 14 Jul 2010 04:50
The movie The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, made in 1958 and starring Ingrid Bergman, is one of the best movies I have ever seen and the closest Hollywood has ever come to filming a real Tintin story so far. It tells the story of a British servant woman, Gladys Aylward, and her journey to China in the 1930s, at the time of the invasion by Japan - in other words, the same time as the Tintin adventure The Blue Lotus was taking place.
The cinematography is splendid - the movie was filmed in Cinemascope - and the woman's story is accurately portrayed, with Robert Donat in the role of the mandarin - a role that proved to be his last, as he died of his asthma before the end of filming, but after his scenes were in the can.
number1fan
#2 · Posted: 14 Jul 2010 06:20
Yes it's a wonderful film - I've seen it many times.
It does have a flavour of The Blue Lotus about it.
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 22 Jul 2010 01:40
I haven't seen this movie but I'm a fan of Ingrid Bergman's work, so I'll see if I can track it done.
Why did Hollywood feel they had to have white people play the roles of other colours? If you ask me it's ridiculous, offensive and looks plain stupid.
worcestershire
#4 · Posted: 2 Oct 2010 23:57
The Wikipedia entry on this movie mentions that there are some discrepancies between the heroine's real life story and the movie (Notably, the real inn was the Inn of the Eighth Happiness...).
This is not technically the film-makers' fault, but is rather due to the fact that the movie was largely shot in Wales instead of China, as originally intended.
Tintinrulz:
Why did Hollywood feel they had to have white people play the roles of other colours?

The reason for the Caucasian actors portraying Asians in the film was very likely because there was a dearth of Asian actors in the film industry at that time, and to make Ingrid Bergman look smaller.
This was because she was 5'10'', blonde and Scandanavian and the real Gladys was a less than five foot tall, dark-haired Cockney (the film is based on a biography of Aylward titled The Small Woman) - hence the tall actors in the cast. She actively disliked the movie, and was not happy with the changes to her and her story.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!