Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Golden Fleece & Blue Oranges: BFI DVD Releases

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 17 Sep 2010 21:00
Ah, that's interesting! I don't know about Chris or John, but I'd not been aware that there was a Press Release out yet myself, so the mention of our participation is nice to see!
It has to be said that none of us has yet seen the prints to be used, but by all accounts the BFI are going out of their way to treat these as important releases, and to give them the best possible treatment.

I've also noticed that the DVDs have started to be listed on on-line retailers' sites, and that you should be able to find them for less than the mentioned R.R.P.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Have now had a message from the BFI press-officer, which advises us that the previous press release had a major error in it:
"I have discovered that the press release that went out initially, mistakenly says that both films have an English language dub track. As you will probably know, Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece has an optional English language dub track but Tintin and the Blue Oranges does not".

So sub-titles only on Blue Oranges, I'm afraid.

Here is the amended release:

BFI releases two rare Tintin adventure films on DVD
on 18 October

This autumn the BFI adds to its range of family DVDs with the release of two rarely seen and previously unreleased live-action films starring Hergé's intrepid boy reporter Tintin.

Remastered to High Definition, Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece (1961) and Tintin and the Blue Oranges (1964) are both released on DVD on 18 October.

Shot on location with a flair that makes them look like James Bond films for kids, these live-action adventures will appeal to Tintin fans young and old. Both titles are beautifully packaged, featuring original artwork adapted from original film posters.

Each release contains an illustrated booklet. Contributions include the first ever English translation of extracts from Tintin actor Jean-Pierre Talbot's autobiography J'étais Tintin au cinema; fact-filled essays from Tintinologists Simon Doyle and Christian Owens and essays by Vic Pratt, Curator at the BFI National Archive and John Fardell, Viz comic artist and children's author.

The Adventures of Tintin comic strip stories are amongst the most popular and successful comic books ever written, published in over 50 languages and selling millions of copies. Tintin's enduring appeal will receive a boost next year with Steven Spielberg's big-screen release of The Secret of the Unicorn, with a screenplay by Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish.

Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece (Jean-Jacques Vierne, 1961)
(Tintin et le mystère de la toison d'or)

One of the very few adaptations to meet with Tintin creator Hergé's approval, Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece is a spirited live-action take on his iconic comic creation and features all his best-loved characters. As well as uncanny Tintin-alike Jean-Pierre Talbot's martial arts skills and the larger-than-life Georges Wilson as Captain Haddock, the film features the talents of other established character actors including Marcel Bozzuffi (The French Connection) and Charles Vanel, famed for having the longest career of any film actor (Henri-Georges Clouzot's Les Diaboliques, The Wages of Fear and La Verité and Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief).

A surprise message from Istanbul is about to ruin Captain Haddock's day. Named as sole beneficiary in the will of his late comrade Paparanic, Haddock and his best friend Tintin, journey to Turkey to claim a strangely disappointing bounty – but is all as it seems? Aided by their friends, the eccentric Professor Calculus and faithful Snowy the dog, Tintin and Haddock set out to solve the mystery of Paparanic's bequest – a rusty old ship called The Golden Fleece. Along the way they confront slippery lawyers, ex-pirates, dangerous gangsters and the bumbling Thom(p)son detectives in an action-packed journey that takes them from Turkey to Greece.

Special features
• New High Definition transfer
• Rare optional English language dub of feature
• New and improved subtitles
• Illustrated 30-page booklet with newly commissioned essays by Tintin expert Simon Doyle and BFI Curator Vic Pratt as well as extracts from actor Jean-Pierre Talbot's autobiography J'étais Tintin au cinéma

Tintin and the Blue Oranges (Philippe Condroyer, 1964)
(Tintin et les oranges bleues)

Professor Calculus's dreams of ending world hunger are brought one step closer by the creation of a desert-proof orange, deep blue in colour. But it seems he's not the only one interested in this magnificent scientific discovery. When the strange blue orange – invented by Spanish Professor Zalamea – is stolen, Tintin, Captain Haddock, Calculus and Snowy the dog make for Spain to investigate. In a riotous adventure Tintin and friends must overcome violent kidnappers, deadly traps and unscrupulous rich adventurers to rescue the orange and themselves. With help from a gang of enterprising kids and big-hearted opera menace Bianca Castifiore can Tintin save the day?

Jean-Pierre Talbot, who became a life-long friend of Tintin creator Hergé, plays the boy-reporter for the second time in this wonderful live-action adventure and is well-supported by Jean Bouiseau's (Le grand bleu) excellent comic performance as the irrepressible Captain Haddock.

Adapted by Asterix creator René Goscinny this lively adventure is another must for Tintin fans.

Special features
· New High Definition transfer
· New and improved subtitles
· Illustrated 26-page booklet with newly commissioned essays by Tintin expert Christian Owens, Viz artist John Fardell and BFI Curator Vic Pratt as well as extracts from actor Jean-Pierre Talbot's autobiography J'étais Tintin au cinéma

Each title has an RRP of £17.99.

Technical details

Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece Cat no: BFIV902 / France / 1961 / Cert PG / colour / French language, with English subtitles and optional English audio / 98 mins / DVD9 / Original aspect ratio 1.66:1 / Dolby Digital dual mono (320 kbps)

Tintin and the Blue Oranges Cat no: BFIV903 / France, Spain / 1964 / Cert U / colour / French language, with English subtitles / 98 mins / DVD9 / Original aspect ratio 1.66:1 / Dolby Digital dual mono (320 kbps)

About the BFI
The BFI is the nation's cultural organisation for film, keeping the breadth of voices in moving image culture alive and known. Through its venues, festivals, film releases and online, the BFI inspires people to understand and enjoy film culture, ensuring that everyone in the UK can see the broadest range and choice of films, otherwise not provided by commercial cinema. The BFI reaches an audience of over 7.5 million in the UK every year.

–————————————————————————————————

It's probably worth noting that the exceptionally long career of Charles Vanel, mentioned in the press-release above, covered 76 years - from 1912, until 1988.
Rocky
#12 · Posted: 18 Sep 2010 09:49
OK, there's no new English dub on the Blue Oranges DVD. But with your BFI contacts, Jock123, can you find out whether the BFI created an English dub?
jock123
#13 · Posted: 18 Sep 2010 10:09
Rocky:
can you find out whether the BFI created an English dub?

No, sadly, they didn't - it was purely an editorial error in producing the press-release.
Rianna Lauren
#14 · Posted: 18 Sep 2010 17:12
Why didn't they make English dubs for both? Was there some kind of certain condition that creates an exception? ._.
jock123
#15 · Posted: 18 Sep 2010 22:34
Rianna Lauren:
Why didn't they make English dubs for both?

Well, we don't know that they (by which we mean the films' original distributor) didn't - it's just that if they did do one for Blue Oranges, nobody seems to have it any more...

Fortunately for us fans, the BFI inherited a copy of The Golden Fleece from the BBC, more or less by accident, because it just arrived unexpectedly in a batch of films the BBC were passing on to them. It was already dubbed into English when they got it, they didn't add this.

It could be that the Blue Oranges had been given the same treatment, but the BBC never had it, and in spite of much diligent research and investigation by Vic (our very own The Poet Zloty here on the forums) and his colleagues at the BFI, they haven't managed to locate a copy, or they most certainly would have included it in the release.
Ranko
#16 · Posted: 23 Sep 2010 19:20
I'm really looking forward to getting these. One of my very earliest Tintin memories is picking up and reading quite possibly the two most moth eaten copies of the accompanying books in existence at our school library c1974. These will roll back the years I'm sure.
jock123
#17 · Posted: 18 Oct 2010 10:25
Following the many years of speculation, theorizing, anticipation and some false dawns, discussed in this thread, the great day has finally arrived!

Today sees the official launch from the British Film Institute of the two live-action Tintin films on DVD, including the legendary - and long thought lost - English-language dubbed version of Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece.

Note that on this issue we now officially have the full title of film, comparable to the French Tintin et le Mystère de la Toison d'Or.

On it's BBC broadcast (and thus it's NFT screening too) it was entitled The Golden Treasure, and the book adaptation was called simply Tintin and the Golden Fleece.

I therefore thought this might be the time to set a new thread in motion to deal specifically with these new disks: please feel free to add comments and thoughts about them as and when you get to see them.

Harrock is preparing a full review of them, so I won't say much now, but we have to be grateful for the sterling efforts of the BFI to make these releases top notch affairs - they have really pushed the boat out for them, as the movies are in sparkling quality and the packaging and booklets are lavishly illustrated.

Various people on the forums have had a hand in helping with the releases, including Harrock n Roll, Balthazar and myself (or should I say Sunny Jim?), but the biggest vote of thanks must go to The Poet Zloty and his colleagues at the BFI for seeing this project through! Thanks, Vic, Sonia and the team: it is much appreciated!
harrocknroll
#18 · Posted: 18 Oct 2010 15:41
got mine today 1st post looking at the golden fleece seems to be a good copy also there is the option of watching french with subtitles or dubbed english
mct16
#19 · Posted: 18 Oct 2010 16:09
jock123:
I therefore thought this might be the time to set a new thread in motion to deal specifically with these new disks: please feel free to add comments and thoughts about them as and when you get to see them.

I presume by this that you mean the quality of the disks and the dubbing.

I have a few observations to make on the storyline and certain business and social issues that are raised in the film. Interested? or is there another thread where these can be raised?
jock123
#20 · Posted: 18 Oct 2010 17:21
mct16:
I presume by this that you mean the quality of the disks and the dubbing.

If it’s relevant to this release, this thread is a good place to start - so how/ when/ why you got your copy; if you remember the Bank Holiday broadcast; the quality of the picture compared to the French VHS, earlier DVDs, etc.
However, if you have a burning need to discuss some wider theme to be found in the films (“Independent Merchant Shipping in the Mediterranean before the Introduction of the Hovercraft”, for example), it might be better served in its own thread. Likewise dissection of specific plot points might warrant a thread.

But we’ll take it as it comes, and sort it out as we go…

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!