Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Golden Fleece & Blue Oranges: BFI DVD Releases

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

mct16
#21 · Posted: 18 Oct 2010 19:34
jock123:
“Independent Merchant Shipping in the Mediterranean before the Introduction of the Hovercraft”

I wasn't going to be quite that specific. More on how the film reflects the globe-trotting aspects of the original comics: I particularly love the location filming in the ports and the Greek wedding; not to mention the villain hiding his criminal activities behind his façade of a respectable businessman (like Rastapopoulos or Omar Ben Salaad). Still, if that is too intellectual for you...
jock123
#22 · Posted: 18 Oct 2010 20:34
mct16:
Still, if that is too intellectual for you...

Nobody has set any limits on how intellectual it is possible to be - but thank you for worrying about my levels of comprehension, I’m sure I’ll cope, even at my age…!

Oh, and yes - I agree entirely that the scenes on location in the port, and in the mountains (with the “Panygrist de Dora Stratou”) are marvellous for evoking the era.
doubleT
#23 · Posted: 19 Oct 2010 19:40
I know, I know, I haven't posted in a while, I'm very sorry

Anyway, just to to make sure I understand, we are talking about an ENGLISH dubbed version of "The Golden Fleece", and by dubbed we mean SPOKEN ENGLISH!!also it's not as badly out of sync like those old kung fu movies or the original Godzilla films right?

Also, what's the region of the DVD and what's it's playability?

With all that in consideration, where can I get one of this DVD?
jock123
#24 · Posted: 19 Oct 2010 21:23
doubleT:
I know, I know, I haven't posted in a while, I'm very sorry

That’s okay - welcome back!

doubleT:
we are talking about an ENGLISH dubbed version of "The Golden Fleece", and by dubbed we mean SPOKEN ENGLISH!!

Yes, indeed we are - it is the very same English-language track that the BBC broadcast in 1978, and was actually laid down in 1961; both films also retain the original French soundtrack, and have English sub-titles. Interestingly, the sub-titles translate the French audio more directly, because they don’t have to try and contend with what the actors’ mouths are doing.

doubleT:
it's not as badly out of sync like those old kung fu movies or the original Godzilla films right?

Well, it is described in the booklet as being “loose lip-synching”, but then again, what else can we expect? The actors aren’t saying the words which you are hearing, so of course the matching is often tenuous. However, the performance and characterization of the voice cast is first rate, and really sells the story.

doubleT:
Also, what's the region of the DVD and what's it's playability?

Amazon is saying it is Region 2, but it isn’t marked anywhere in the packaging that I can see (might be overlooking it); looking at the disk-info on my computer DVD drive, I think that they are multi-region (1,2,3,4,5,6), but you will need to be able to use a PAL encoded disk (is that what you mean by “playbility”?).

doubleT:
With all that in consideration, where can I get one of this DVD?

You don’t say where you are, so it’s hard to say - but any of the usual British on-line retailers (amazon.co.uk, play.com, etc.) would be worth trying. Amazon.com doesn’t appear to have it - they do list the Umbrella DVD from Australia for Golden Fleece, but that doesn’t include the English audio version.
Harrock n roll
#25 · Posted: 19 Oct 2010 21:41
doubleT:
we are talking about an ENGLISH dubbed version of "The Golden Fleece", and by dubbed we mean SPOKEN ENGLISH!!

The answer to your first points are yes and yes. Yes, this is the dubbed version of Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece, and yes, by 'dubbed' it means in spoken English.

The DVD booklet says "the English-language dub track presented here was made in 1961, and contains instances of loose lip-synching throughout. This is to be expected from post-produced audio tracks of this nature." By that I expect they mean they have taken the audio from the only surviving copy (which the BBC own) and re-synced it to the remastered video track. Having watched it I can report that is pretty much as it is; the lip syncing is very well done and although sometimes 'loose' in places it doesn't spoil the enjoyment. Well, it didn't for me anyway.

I believe the DVD is Region 2 (that's what Amazon.co.uk says it is), which means you might have trouble playing it outside of Europe, and it can be bought from many UK online stores (like Amazon.co.uk or Play.com) and it should be in many UK high street stores too. I don't know if it's going to be made available in the US.

I have just written a review for the DVDs and it should be up on the site later in the week.

Edit
Ah, I see jock123 has beaten me to it and answered your questions!

In regard of the region of these discs; like jock, I couldn't see anything on the disc or packaging that actually stated it was Region 2, but it does say it is a PAL DVD designed to be played on PAL DVD players.
Harrock n roll
#26 · Posted: 24 Oct 2010 12:47
A review about the releases has just been put up on the site
https://www.tintinologist.org/articles/fleece-oranges-bfi-release.html
jock123
#27 · Posted: 25 Oct 2010 18:36
A mention in The Irish Times:
Tintin gets the deluxe treatment

and a nice review by Cinedelica.com:
DVD Review: Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece (1961)
Richard
UK Correspondent
#28 · Posted: 4 Sep 2011 00:50
Tintin & the Mystery of the Golden Fleece is getting a budget re-release [Amazon link here], presumably to coincide with the new film at the cinemas if the timing & cover artwork are anything to go by...
rollo
#29 · Posted: 22 Oct 2011 08:22
I finally saw these, in original language. The Golden Fleece is utterly charming - I really enjoyed it. Blue Oranges must have been on my radar since I was about 10 and found a copy of the book in French in a second hand bookshop, and finally getting to see it was a real honour!

I notice Amazon UK is displaying two different sleeves for Golden Fleece - is there any difference (apart from £1)?
Rocky
#30 · Posted: 24 Oct 2011 16:35
I too would like to know what the difference is between the budget release and the earlier one. Does anyone know?

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!