Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Crab with the Golden Claws: the suffering of Captain Haddock

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Abhishek Ghosh
#1 · Posted: 19 May 2010 13:46
When he was introduced in the book Crab with the Golden Claws we see that he was expressing his sufferings to his first mate Alan.

Did he lost his beloved one's in an accident?

Will it be this reason below which I have written -

Especially his parents as he cries out for his mother after Tintin's comment "What would your old mother say, if she see's you in such a State?"
mct16
#2 · Posted: 19 May 2010 23:38
Could be that something in his past led Haddock to become an alcoholic, like the death of his mother, and Tintin's comments made it all come back.

That is one of the great appeals about Tintin. So much is left open to speculation and encourages debates like these.
Arnyxx
#3 · Posted: 30 Aug 2010 10:48
Strange all over the series Haddock haven't given any intros about his family rather than about his ancestor only in Secret of unicorn ! Why ?
mct16
#4 · Posted: 30 Aug 2010 15:58
Arnyxx:
Strange all over the series Haddock haven't given any intros about his family rather than about his ancestor only in Secret of unicorn ! Why ?

He and Tintin, Calculus, the Thompsons, none of them seem to refer to having relatives of any sort, only friends and acquaintances. Which is probably all the more the reason why they form a "family" of their own.
Rianna Lauren
#5 · Posted: 31 Aug 2010 00:45
Yes, I've always thought all the characters in Tintin as one big family of its own. Even without real references of mother, father, or siblings, I don't mind, they're all a family in they're own way. :3
Cutts_The_Butcher
#6 · Posted: 31 Aug 2010 01:41
Rianna Lauren:
Even without real references of mother, father, or siblings

they're all informal siblings. they are the children of Herge :)
Arnyxx
#7 · Posted: 31 Aug 2010 08:00
Yeah ! Dat's true Rianna . . They're all childrens of Herge but don't forget SNOWY too . . Ha Ha Ha . . Wooh . . Wooh . . Snowy come here

Moderator Note: Arnyxx, welcome to the forums: we appreciate your enthusiasm, but please write in standard English, with upper- and lower-case letters and proper punctuation and spelling, as otherwise your messages are very hard to read and understand for all our members. Take a moment to look at the User Guide, which explains our rules and policies. Many thanks!

The Tintinologist Team
Arnyxx
#8 · Posted: 15 Sep 2010 01:58
My Apologies Dear Moderators !
boosterjones
#9 · Posted: 24 Nov 2010 12:16
As a matter of fact some years ago I wrote a fanfic that explaned that not only did he lose her mother, but also his entire family in a shipwreck (easy enougth, even at the turn of the 20'th cen)

I did not put this up on the net, but I'll try and dig it out and revise it ASAP

Moderator Note:
While you are quite welcome to beaver away on your fanfic in the comfort and privacy of your own home, we have a strict no fan work policy on these forums, so please don’t post it here, or publish details about how to find it. Many thanks,

The Tintinologist Team
mct16
#10 · Posted: 24 Nov 2010 22:57
boosterjones:
As a matter of fact some years ago I wrote a fanfic that explaned that not only did he lose her mother, but also his entire family in a shipwreck (easy enougth, even at the turn of the 20'th cen)

I don't mean to ruin your fun - such a plot does sound interesting - but on the other hand, wouldn't such a tragedy be something to put you off the sea rather than make it your career?

For Haddock to become an alcoholic to drown his sorrows over such a tragedy I could understand, but to go to sea and thus practically relive the same disaster over and over again sounds a bit weird.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!