Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Tintin DVD boxset in the sales

jockosjungle
#1 · Posted: 31 Aug 2004 21:33
Hi all

Not sure if i am allowed to post this, was in Virgin Megastore Chester today and they had the 10 Disk Tintin DVD Boxset for £19.99, I thought this was a bargain and I checked on the net when I got home and the same 10 disk set was £17.99 at DVD.co.uk

http://www.dvd.co.uk/product.asp?id=ABD1929

Seems a great price for anyone without this yet

Rik
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 2 Sep 2004 01:54
Thanks anyway, but we've had a number of posts about this already.
skut
#3 · Posted: 6 Sep 2004 21:35
Blistering barnacles! I can't believe that those bashi bazouks are only releasing this in the UK and not in North America... I mean, the cartoons were made in Canada, and here I am unable to view these DVDs due to region coding. Ectoplasms! Pirates! Ostrogoths!
jockosjungle
#4 · Posted: 3 Oct 2004 07:01
Thought I'd bump this as the Tintin DVD boxset is now in the HMV sale for £14.99! Online as well at hmv.co.uk

Rik
hotbert73
#5 · Posted: 5 Oct 2004 20:47
Is it possible to get Tintin DVDs in North America at all? I used to watch it all the time and now I cn't find it anywhere.
jockosjungle
#6 · Posted: 6 Oct 2004 09:18
I'm sorry to say it isn't available at all! Try writing to suggestions@anchorbayent.com and suggesting it get a release as I have done.

You can get Tintin and the Lake of Sharks if that is any consolation.

Rik
Pelaphus
#7 · Posted: 6 Oct 2004 09:58
With a little industry, you can find a cheap DVD player that is either region-free out of the box, or hackable with a simple remote-control code. And then you could avail yourself of any official Eurpopean release with an English soundtrack. Which is all of them, I think. Here's a code-free DVD player vendor:

<a href="http://www.jbox.com/DVD/DVRF_1.html
" target="_blank">http://www.jbox.com/DVD/DVRF_1.html
</a>

And here's a page where you can find out whether the model you own already can be adjusted. (By the way; avoid any hacks that advise you to adjust firmware. If you can't do it by simply issuing a numeric code command and/or adjusting a "hidden" menu option, it's not worth risking the possibly irreversible damage to the machine.)

http://www.dvdcodes.net/

All that said, you might also check a certain site I'm not sure I'm permitted to name in this context, for the Malaysian VCD set, which I believe is an official release. This was my first set of Tintin series videos, and to the best of my knowledge predates the DVD releases. A VCD is essentially a CD with video information, less compressed than on a DVD, the picture quality about equivalent to a VHS cassette. (VCDs are still very popular in the East, never much caught on in the West.) It's rare to find a VCD with chapter stops or menus: usually you have to navigate them linearly as you would a videotape ... but most DVD players will read them, and any computer with a CD-ROM drive plus Quicktime (Mac) or Windows media player (PCs) can play them.

The Tintin VCD set is not versatile. One soundtrack (English) nor can you remove the Malay subtitles that are burned into the image. Plus, before each story starts, and between episodes, there are a few Malay commercials. (Unlike the DVD releases, the VCDs do not "weld together" episodes of a two-part story, but rather present them as separate installments, as they were first broadcast. And there is only one story per disk.) On the plus side, having the broadcast versions is fun (you get to hear Tintin's "It all started..." summaries of the previous episode), and the opening and closing credit sequences are the American/Canadian ones. And, as with CDs, you can create backup copies.

There is also to be found a Lake of Sharks VCD out there, but you'd have to get that separately, as it is not part of the VCD television series set.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 6 Oct 2004 10:14
Sorry to shoot you down again Pelaphus (nothing personal!), but yet again the pesky pirates were almost certainly responsible for the VCD release in Malaysia! It follows the same path as the pirate DVDs - only widely available through eBay, not stocked by legit VCD importers etc. I know they went to some lengths to give “value”, with collector tins etc., but it’s still pound to a penny that they are fakes. Sounds like someone has taped off TV, if they have the intros...

These are the same people who were selling “genuine, legal, absolutely legitimate” releases of films like Star Wars three or four years before LucasFilm, and one of the major reasons that George Lucas brought out the recent real release of the original trilogy.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!