Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Belvision: Queries about DVD & VHS versions?

Page  Page 5 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Rianna Lauren
#41 · Posted: 19 Jul 2010 15:16
Thanks Mikael :) I trust IMDb enough. XP I hope I can find those movies. Somewhere. XD
VGRetro
#42 · Posted: 18 Dec 2010 01:08
I own four of the six Belvision VHS tapes released in the UK. The only videos I am missing are The Secret of the Unicorn/ Red Rackham's Treasure, released by Virgin Video, and The Calculus Case.

Can anybody help me in finding these videos? It took me around seven years to find Destination Moon/ Explorers, and I only found that a week ago!

Can anyone out there assist me in making my next find a quick one?
Rocky
#43 · Posted: 18 Dec 2010 23:55
Hi VGRetro,
I have the Virgin Video release of The Calculus Case. If you were to make me a generous offer I would sell it. Click my name to see my email address.
VGRetro
#44 · Posted: 20 Dec 2010 23:49
I hope not. If they appear out of nowhere so soon, it'll be like my seven-year search has been a waste!

Mind you, at least I'll have them all. But it's almost like the Star Wars Holiday special, where the Hergé Foundation have probably gone out of their way to ensure that nobody sees them... But then, if that was true, why permit VHS releases anyway?

I don't know. I just want to be able to see the last ones!
jock123
#45 · Posted: 21 Dec 2010 10:46
I'm really surprised that you've found it quite so hard to complete your collection. The tapes turn up reasonably regularly on eBay, for example, and they seldom cost more than a fiver; I've also found them in charity shops. Maybe supplies are running out after all this time?

Is it because you are only looking for Virgin Video tapes, as opposed to the other labels?

VGRetro:
it's almost like the Star Wars Holiday special, where the Hergé Foundation have probably gone out of their way to ensure that nobody sees them...

There's nothing we know of to say that Moulinsart has anything to do with the series not being available currently: it could be that there isn't a video label which sees them as a viable property (Anchor Bay certainly said as much to me, when I asked them if they held the rights to release the TV series after they brought out the movies), or perhaps that the company which promotes the Ellipse-Nelvana series owns the rights to both, and doesn't want to split the market or confuse shoppers.
Moulinsart also brought out the stop-motion Crab with the Golden Claws, and have posted the Belvision Black Island on their web-site, so there's no great sign of antipathy to them, per se.
VGRetro
#46 · Posted: 21 Dec 2010 16:28
jock123:
Is it because you are only looking for Virgin Video tapes, as opposed to the other labels?

Yes. This is because I own The Shooting Star and the Moon adventures in Virgin Video form, and that The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure were released together on that video. It will cut down my search for three videos if I can find that one. Also, I have seen The Calculus Case on video released by Lollipop, and that's how I got Crab and Black Island. Three of each sounds like a more reasonable search so that the collection feels more complete once I find them.

My favourite of the videos so far is the Moon one. The animation is more reminiscent of Hanna Barbera than the others, and the ending, though inaccurate, is very exciting compared to the book. The big problem is that after the cliff hanger at the end of Destination Moon plays, it goes into Explorers on the Moon. That's not a bad thing, but they repeat the last ten minutes adding nothing new. This sequence could easily have been edited out, but they left it in, and it makes a very messy half-way point on the video.
VGRetro
#47 · Posted: 17 Jun 2011 17:59
I would like to make it known, that I now have The Calculus Case on VHS. This means the last remaining VHS I need to find is Secret of the Unicorn / Red Rackham's Treasure... If there is anyone anywhere on this site who possesses a copy of this VHS, and is willing to sell, I would be very grateful if you got in touch...

Of course, to prevent copyright issues, if anyone does approach me, we will have to discuss matters elsewhere.

Moderator Note:
There's no copyright issue involved if you are talking about buying a second-hand tape of a legitimate release; there would be an issue if you were asking someone to make a pirate copy of a tape - and such conversations are deleted as a matter of course, with the possibility of a ban.
The reason we ask for sales to take place off the forums is a) we have no mechanism in place to allow transactions, and b) don't offer any sort of dispute resolution in the event of problems with a sale.

The Happy Tintinologist Team
VGRetro
#48 · Posted: 10 Jul 2011 21:01
I believe that the first episode title for Black Island may be Forced Landing. I have no sources that provide information surrounding this theory, but having watched that part of the VHS over and over, I can't think of any other name for it. Though it isn't official, it might help towards discovering the real title of the episode, if it even had one at all.

Oh, I now have all of the Belvision VHS tapes. I got the Virgin Video release of Unicorn / Rackham earlier this week.
Rocky
#49 · Posted: 11 Jul 2011 09:41
Thanks for your input VGRetro. Another theory is that the episode 1 title (if it had one) was simply 'The Black Island', but I prefer your 'Forced Landing' suggestion.
VGRetro
#50 · Posted: 16 Jul 2011 11:47
Rocky
Thank you, Rocky. I've heard from some members of other Tintin communities that it has been accepted as the official title. I feel very flattered!

Page  Page 5 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!