Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Golden Fleece & Blue Oranges: Which film do you prefer?

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 1 Jan 2011 21:50
I think Tintin and The Golden Fleece is a little better than The Blue Oranges.

Though Blue Oranges is a fine film it goes a bit flat though a bit like a fast car with a bald tire.

The Golden Fleece is more cinematic and the story is a bit more of a traditional Tintin story. Georges Wilson is a better Haddock than Jean Bouise.

Jean-Pierre Talbot is pretty much spot on and I don't know who else could have done the role better than him.

I also find Snowy more interesting in The Golden Fleece.

What is your opinion?
mct16
#2 · Posted: 9 Jan 2011 23:05
I prefer "Golden Fleece" and I've watched through it several times, but I just can't seem to be able to get into "Blue Oranges". Every time I've tried to watch it, I've given up after just five or ten minutes. The rather dark and morbid atmosphere of Marlinspike does not appeal. It seems very low-budget compared to "Golden Fleece" and the fact that they try to give it the feel of a comic by putting in text boxes is just silly. Does it improve later on?

"Golden Fleece" is very entertaining: lots of adventure, action and the fact that they travel so much reflects the themes of the books in which travel and local culture was such an important issue. It has a very documentary-style feel about it with the comical characters mixing well with real locations with busy streets and ports.

Talbot and Wilson make a great Tintin and Haddock. Talbot shows a fighting style which is similar to judo which gives the character an extra element: in the books it seems to be just a case of giving an opponent a quick punch to knock them on the ground.
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 10 Jan 2011 07:51
mct16:
Does it improve later on?

It does get more interesting but it does go a bit flat at times, and I can’t stand the ending with all the children.
mondrian
#4 · Posted: 11 Jan 2011 04:05
Neither, to be honest.

Golden Fleece had the ingredients (believable actors, good scenery, traveling etc) but it's not just very good, not as a Tintin adventure nor as a movie. And I admit giving up on Blue oranges in less than ten minutes. And don't feel duty-bound to ever finish it.
Mikael Uhlin
#5 · Posted: 11 Jan 2011 19:49
In 1971, I was 7 years old and me and a friend had just discovered Tintin. We didn't know how many albums and films there were and suddenly we saw an ad for Tintin and the Blue Oranges at the local cinema! For some reason I couldn't go (and it was just a Sunday matinee, shown once) but my friend saw it and for years I was asking him for details. We also made several (unfinished) attempts to draw the adventure ourselves.

Around 1977 or 1978 I finally got to see the film with my brothers at another matinee. I was a bit disappointed but satisfied nevertheless. By then we knew all there was to know about Tintin, including the existence of Golden Fleece. Shortly after this, I visited Paris with my family and got the opportunity to buy both film albums (in French). However, it wasn't until the late 1990s and the video editions of both films that I finally got to see Golden Fleece.

And, really, as a grown-up I think both films capture the feel and look of Hergés creation quite well. Blue Oranges isn't bad at all, but maybe Golden Fleece is a bit better.
tintinophile691
#6 · Posted: 15 Jan 2011 06:19
number1fan:
It does get more interesting but it does go a bit flat at times, and I can’t stand the ending with all the children.

Same for me. I also thought that the whole 'icecube message' thing was too absurd for my taste. The Super Calca-Colour was absurd, but that was supposed to be a joke and was acceptable in my book.
MT50446
#7 · Posted: 31 Aug 2014 07:42
I have yet to see Blue Oranges, hopefully will do soon.
Watched Golden Fleece again after many years and think it's great.
Lively adventure in the traditional Tintin mould, could have been written by a Hergé, it's that good.
MT50446
#8 · Posted: 17 Sep 2014 09:02
Combined two consecutive posts.

Am watching Blue Oranges now ...and have got passed first 10mins and am enjoying it!

Verdict: great fun! Preferred Golden Fleece, but still enjoyed it.

Moderator Note: Rather than make consecutive posts, if it's within 24 hours you can update the previous one by editing it.
We'd also ask that you type using standard punctuation, including upper- and lower-case letters: this is to help make posts as clear as possible to all, especially for those who may not have English as their first language.

Many thanks for your help in this matter!

The Tidy Tintinologist Team
advnarayan
#9 · Posted: 17 Sep 2014 16:44
I have seen the two movies - however a shoddy copy of the dvd reached me - sans subtitles.
They are nice, simple adventures - and Jean-Pierre Talbot looks good as Tintin.
I have also with me the album/ novelization of these two movies. I liked the novelization of Golden Fleece better than Blue Oranges.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!