Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

King Ottokar's Sceptre: Do Syldavians Eat Dogs?

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

orange2009
#31 · Posted: 2 Feb 2011 19:12
Yes, Tintin being caught eavesdropping was the reason.To include the quote was the instruction from the Syldavians in the room to the restaurateur, to be passed on to Tintin with his bill.

To what can be said as an excuse or a made-up caution is the restaurateur's bill warning for Tintin. As for Slazeck,the guy gave the Syldavian delicacy details keeping Snowy too in mind, for Tintin to think further before meddling in Syldavian affairs.
number1fan
#32 · Posted: 2 Feb 2011 21:29
Would you eat the leg of a young dog?
little martine
#33 · Posted: 4 Feb 2011 06:13
never! in my life, I swear.
EMarie
#34 · Posted: 14 Dec 2014 22:28
I'd always thought that waiter said the szlaszeck was made of dog meat just to freak Tintin out, so he'd quit snooping around and leave.

In some parts of Europe people did eat dogs (and cats) sometimes, but usually during severe famines. The Hunger Winter in the Netherlands during the Forties would be one example.

Probably szlaszeck would be made of lamb, mutton or maybe goat, which are eaten a lot in the Balkans.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!