Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Comic artists who redo their own work

mct16
#1 · Posted: 19 Jan 2011 20:06
When Herge started Tintin he drew it in a crude black-and-white manner. He later developed a style called Ligne claire and redrew the early adventures (America, Cigars, Lotus etc.)

I'm wondering if other artists have ever done anything similar: developed their style and then redrew their work accordingly. As far as I know, most of them don't since they tend to prefer to move on to other things rather than go over the same thing time and again.

I recently found that Peyo redrew the first few pages of an early Smurf adventure to reflect the more cartoony style that he later adopted, but it was never completed.

Does anyone know of any other?
george
#2 · Posted: 20 Jan 2011 09:12
Probably not exactly the same thing but I think I read somewhere that Neal Adams (the American superhero artist) had partially-redrawn some Batman comics that were being republished. I don't know the reasons; perhaps to take advantage of 21st century printing? That's a total guess though...
Richard1631978
#3 · Posted: 20 Jan 2011 19:55
Wasn't some of Asterix The Gaul redrawn (by a different artist) when printed as a book because the original artwork had been lost?
george
#4 · Posted: 10 Feb 2011 13:31
mct16:
Does anyone know of any other?

Lewis Trondheim's original, black and white, L'Association published version of Slaloms was completely redrawn for its Dargaud-published colour incarnation.

Richard1631978:
Wasn't some of Asterix The Gaul redrawn (by a different artist) when printed as a book because the original artwork had been lost?

That rang a bell with me as well. looking it up on the Asterix website we read:

Page 35 of all the versions of the album apart from the ones in English has an unusual history. Because the original plate had been lost and was needed for a fresh printing of the album, it was completely redrawn by Marcel Uderzo, Albert's brother, in 1970. Albert had in fact trained Marcel so that he could help him with the colouring. This page is the only Asterix plate not to have been drawn by Albert Uderzo. By looking carefully you will see the odd difference compared to other pages (larger letters, finer features …). English versions, however, always use the original plate.

Wikipedia puts more detail in vis-a-vis the English language version.

George
mct16
#5 · Posted: 1 Sep 2011 15:40
Recently, in France, I came across an edition of the original "Asterix the Gaul" book. Without comparing it to my copy (dated from the early 1980s), it looked like the same book drawing-wise but with better colouring work. Centurion Crimus Bonus, for example, is now shown wearing a gold breastplate rather than the white clothes in the original book. See the official website.
jorgea
#6 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 01:57
I think less people would be motivated to take those extra steps to redraw earlier works. I hope to read other equally interesting posts here at https://www.tintinologist.org

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!