Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Blue Oranges: Publishing dates for the film book

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

MrCutts
#1 · Posted: 19 Feb 2011 23:13
I started a thread some time ago discussing a Tintin and the Golden Fleece book of the film which I had, and still have for sale. The subject of the publishing dates of the two film books came up in the discussion. I can confirm the dates of the Tintin and the Blue Oranges book.

Last year I bought a Blue Oranges film book with a 1970 publishing date. Inside the 1970 book it mentioned it was first published in 1967.

Last week I was lucky enough to purchase a 1967 version. I'm fairly sure it wasn't printed again after 1970. I've never seen a later version.
number1fan
#2 · Posted: 19 Feb 2011 23:43
Yea it pretty much had the one print run its quite rare and probably wasn't reproduced again.Its quite a hard find but if you have a first edition its going to be worth at least £200.
jock123
#3 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 11:44
number1fan:
Yea it pretty much had the one print run

Err, not if as MrCutts has just pointed out, it was printed in 1967 and 1970.

Thanks for the update, MrCutts; these are the details we need if we are going to build up a proper picture of the history of these books.

number1fan:
if you have a first edition its going to be worth at least £200.

Again, while it is rare, I’d say that £200 is well over the top - I’ve seen them go for under £60 on eBay.

Just out of interest, MrCutts (and don’t feel obliged to answer if you don’t want to), what would your suggested price be?
number1fan
#4 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 12:10
jock123:
while it is rare, I’d say that £200 is well over the top - I’ve seen them go for under £60 on eBay.

I placed a bid on one and it went for around £425.So there are people out there who will pay it.
jock123
#5 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 12:28
number1fan:
I placed a bid on one and it went for around £425.So there are people out there who will pay it.

Undoubtedly - but I’m sure there will also be people who have had copies for free - it just doesn’t reflect an accurate picture of the “going rate”.

Copies on eBay have certainly gone for under £60 in the last six months or so - and I haven’t seen any achieve anything like £100, let alone £200 or £425 in that time…
number1fan
#6 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 14:02
I have come across on in a London Bookshop for £175 before.I have never seen the book go for as little as £60.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 16:12
number1fan:
I have never seen the book go for as little as £60

Keep watching eBay then - there have been quite a few recently…
MrCutts
#8 · Posted: 21 Feb 2011 01:06
Hello Number1fan Hello Jock. I, like Jock, have not seen these film books reach £425 on eBay. If there is someone who is willing to pay £425 for a film book please point them in my direction :o) Number1fan do you want to buy the English Golden Fleece I have for sale?

Number1fan is right in some respects. I have not seen English edition film books in London second hand book shops but I have seen for sale in one London second hand book shop first edition English hardback Tintin books with pricetags of £175 or thereabouts.

Jock, I thought these publishing date details may be useful on this site. I mentioned the dates before in the other thread but I did not have any concrete evidence. I was only going by descriptions of books that I had watched on eBay. I know that 'Golden Fleece' was first published in 1965. I watched another Golden Fleece book on eBay a few years ago and from the description that book was published in 1967. It sort of makes sense that when the 'Blue Oranges' was first published in 1967 Methuen would have reprinted 'Golden Fleece' in the same year.

As for the eBay prices of these books at the present time I have to side with Jock. I won't disclose the price I paid for the 1970 edition as I may sell it because I really wanted a 1967 edition which I now have. I will disclose the eBay price I paid for the 1967 edition. The book (without postage) cost me £62. I was willing to pay more for the book if need be and I suppose a book or any item selling on an eBay auction is only worth what someone is willing to pay. The 'Golden Fleece' book I have for sale only reached £41 on eBay. I had a reserve on the book that's why I still have it. I based the reserve on an offer I had before I placed it on eBay. The offer I had was 100 Euros (£85). If I don't get any more offers I'm inclined to email the person that offered me £85 to see if he still wants it. Ideally when I bought it I thought perhaps I could get £100 - £170 for the book. A little bit optimistic maybe?
number1fan
#9 · Posted: 21 Feb 2011 06:27
Yes I would like to how much would you be willing to sell for?.
MrCutts
#10 · Posted: 24 Feb 2011 11:45
Hello Number1fan
Sorry for the delay in replying to your question. Please make me an offer. I will happy to sell it for as much as I can get for it.

Below I have a link to some photos of the book I'm selling. Hope it works.
GoldenFleecePhotos
There is some wear to to the back cover. If you can't see the photos then please email me at jnk759 at AOL dot com

I will be happy to pass on images of the book plus discuss a price for the book via email.

If anyone else is reading this and they are interested in the book then please feel free to contact me.

Moderator Note: Two things: things seem to have been confused here a little - it seems that number1fan is probably talking about a copy of The Blue Oranges, thinking that if you have two, you might be selling one. Sorry if that is not the case.
Secondly, given that this is a thread about The Blue Oranges, not Golden Fleece, you need to start a new For Sale thread in the collectibles section.

Many thanks.

The Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!