Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Professor Palmboom by Dick Briel

SingingGandalf
#1 · Posted: 26 Apr 2006 20:46
Hi
I've seen a few of these, published by Carlsen comics (who publish Tintin in Germany). They are ligne-claire in style, and are like Blake and Mortimer. They are by Dick Briel and are the adventures of Professor Palmboom. Does anyone know any more about them?
cuthbert
#2 · Posted: 28 Apr 2006 19:22
Dick Briel is a Dutch artist from Amsterdam, he drew three 'Professor Palmboom' mysteries.

I own all three in Dutch; they are called: Het mysterie van de Tacho Plant, De Roestgranaat (which also features some shorter stories) and London Labyrinth.

Freely translated, these would be: The Tacho. Plant Mystery, The Rust Grenade and (surprisingly!) London Labyrinth ^_^)

There was also a pocket book called Sketches from Victorian Times.

The first two adventures were published in the eighties.

London Labyrinth is from 1999, and the ending says, "To be continued", but Briel never finished the sequel that was to be called 'Ratcliffe Highway' because of physical problems.

Personally I think Het mysterie van de Tacho Plant is the best; the drawings for London Labyrinth are of far lesser quality because the artist chose to colour them by computer (quite badly, I must add), and De Roestgranaat has a weaker plot.

I don't know if they were ever fully translated into English.
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 20 Feb 2011 14:17
Moved from a separate thread

I have just come across a comic in Ligne Claire style, Professor Palmboom, set in the 20th Century.

It appears to be only in Dutch at the moment.

Has anyone on this site ever read or heard of this comic?

Moderator Note: Moved to this thread, where you will see it discussed above. It pays to do a forum search before starting a new thread!

It is also with sadness that we must mention that Dik Briel has passed away with the last Palmbloom adventure still not completed, so the series seems to be brought to an end without resolution.

The Tintinologist Team

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!