Blake & Mortimer: The Cinebook Publications

Page  Page 6 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

george
#51 · Posted: 12 Nov 2010 19:25
mct16:
"a number of Tintin 'homages'"?

Well... one is a number! ;-)
mct16:
What other references are there to Tintin?

Actually, the other one is an odd one. The author, Yves Sente, says: "On page 55, Olrik kidnaps a little girl and says the same words to her as Müller uses as he kidnaps the son of the emir - page 57 of Land of Black Gold". It's a nice little homage but...
Wll, the translator has Olrik use a different phrase to that of Müller, so what might be a nice little treat in French is totally lost in English. Still, at least we know what we are missing!

George
mct16
#52 · Posted: 13 Nov 2010 12:18
Thanks for the info, George.

george:
so what might be a nice little treat in French is totally lost in English

I don't know that the English version of Muller's words are, but in the original French he literally says:

"Shoo! Get in there, you!... And leave me alone!..."

Hardly Shakespeare!

More to the point could have been the Soviet merchant captain muttering "Blistering barnacles" in the Russian alphabet as the men from MI5 take over his ship.
george
#53 · Posted: 24 Feb 2011 22:39
2Orangy4Crows:
No date for Gondwana Shrine but I would assume around September/October.

Right on target - it is currently listed for September 1st 2011. A month later they bring us their first non-Goscinny and non-Morris Lucky Luke in the shape of Lucky Luke Versus the Pinkertons.

George
mct16
#54 · Posted: 5 Mar 2011 20:37
You can read the English versions of Blake & Mortimer The Yellow 'M' and the first volume of The Mystery of the Great Pyramid online at izneo.com, a paid-for comic streaming service.

You can also find a number of other French-language comics like Lucky Luke translated into English, most of them from Cinebook.

Enjoy.
george
#55 · Posted: 13 Apr 2011 20:37
For those keeping count, though doubtless (and hopefully) less obsessively than me...

The newest Cinebook Blake & Mortimer has just been published - Volume 10: The Sarcophagi of the Sixth Continent.
Right at the back they reveal their schedule for 2012.
The first release will be Jacobs' The Atlantis Mystery, previously published by Comcat in the 1980s; the next releases form a pair: The Curse of Thirty Pieces of Silver, pts 1 & 2.

So, glass-half-full-time, 2013 looks to be Jacobs-rich, if only because that's all that'll be left! My bookcases only have a few more years to wait...

George
Colonel Jorgen
#56 · Posted: 26 Jan 2012 18:13
I have the first ten cinebook releases of Edgar Pierre Jacobs's Blake & Mortimer and I've enjoyed them all, to varying degrees.

As previous posters have noted, it seems Jacobs did not subscribe to the "show-not-tell" school of thought, and thus his stories are dialogue and caption rich, to the detriment of the pace of the books.

Still, volumes such as The Yellow 'M', S.O.S Meteors and The Affair of the Necklace are great fun, and the art is often fantastic.

One thing that always bothered me is that he used the same villain every time, leading to a certain predictability, something Hergé thankfully avoided.

I've liked the new versions of Blake & Mortimer, but I know comic fans can be touchy over continuations of favourite characters after the creators death, so I was wondering what other members of this forum thought of the new versions and what the general reception of them is like in France.
mct16
#57 · Posted: 27 Jan 2012 00:45
From what I've read, there were critics who were fairly dismissive of the new B&M stories, though this did not affect sales so they must have appealed to some people.

I've only read three of the new books: The Francis Blake Affair, The Strange Encounter and The Voronov Plot. They were fine, I suppose. I liked the focus on espionage (a favourite subject of mine) in the first book; but found it a little too fortuitous that in Strange Encounter Mortimer has a personal interest in the discovery of the body of an 18th century redcoat.

Voronov Plot is great with its Cold War background and theme of espionage and science fiction, but it is rather sudden to find Mortimer switching from nuclear physics to the study of bacteria and diseases, which is not exactly his area of study.

Voronov makes a great villain but the way he spreads the bacteria is somewhat unconvincing; as is Honeychurch being able to so easily find Mortimer in a large city like Liverpool.

Anyway, one of these days I might try the other books and see if there are any improvements.

Moderator Note: It may not seem like something that you think scientists do, but Nobel laureate Dr Richard Feynman, a theoretical physicist who worked on the Manhattan Project, took a sabatical to study bio-chemistry; perhaps this was what was in mind?
Working in the opposite direction, Dr Isaac Asimov, a biochemist, wrote a story during the war, in which the details of atomic physics he included in it, which he had worked out for himself from non-classified sources, was so accurate, and so similar to that which was being used for the war effort, that he was believed for a time to have had access to top secret material, and was suspected to have been involved in espionage.
So Philip changing horses isn't that much of a stretch!
Colonel Jorgen
#58 · Posted: 27 Jan 2012 14:46
Thank you for your reply, mct16 - I must say that while The Sarcophagi of the Sixth Continent is entertaining, I find the origin story of Philip Mortimer rather dubious, although the creator's could have come up with a much worse history for him in retrospect.

I too like the espionage themes of The Francis Blake Affair (a very definite air of le Carré in the opening pages of this one; no bad thing!) and The Voronov Plot.
However, with The Strange Encounter, I felt Van Hamme had gone too far introducing aliens, just like Hergé crossed over from the realistic to the incredible in Flight 714 when he showed an extra-terrestrial.
george
#59 · Posted: 23 Aug 2012 12:42
The newest Cinebook Blake & Mortimer has just been published - Volume 14: The Curse of the 30 Pieces of Silver. Right at the back they reveal their schedule for 2013.

The first release will be Jacobs' The Secret of the Swordfish, part 1, previously published by Editions Blake & Mortimer in the 1980s; the rest of that story follow throughout the year.

So, glass-half-full-time, 2013 will be Jacobs-rich, with just The Time Trap and the two volumes of Professor Sato to come once the year is over.

After that Cinebook will have to find another series to translate while they wait for new B&M publications to be released.

George
mct16
#60 · Posted: 23 Aug 2012 22:17
george:
while they wait for new B&M publications to be released.

One of which is due in November of this year and another which is currently in the works. See here for details

Page  Page 6 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!