Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Smurfs Up! The Smurfs are accused of being racist (but it's only a joke...)

Harrock n roll
#1 · Posted: 6 Jun 2011 14:14
I caught a story last week that said that Smurf fans were up in arms about a new book. The book, called "The Little Blue Book: A Critical and Political Analysis of Smurf Society" by Antoine Bueno, a lecturer at the Paris Institute of Political Studies, makes some interesting claims, among them that Smurfland was a totalitarian utopia, with Papa Smurf a Stalin-type figure.

The report says that it had "sparked a deluge of fury on the internet from Smurf aficionados". But (as I kind of suspected), a new report today says that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

The author says "I imagined that this analysis of the little world of Smurfs as a totalitarian utopia might amuse readers -- but I never expected the strong reactions that it provoked."

So I guess it's yet another example of how the internet enables stories (even the most insignificant ones) to go viral so quickly, usually without the full facts, that the outrage spreads within minutes.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!