Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: Casting discussion

Page  Page 5 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  Next » 

jock123
#41 · Posted: 24 Sep 2004 15:16
I'd not seriously thought of Tom Hanks as Haddock (or at least, I'd not taken the suggestion seriously), until the portrait of the Captain in the gallery on the end-papers of one of the books caught my eye – and blow me, if I couldn't actually see a likeness to Hanks there! The way the captain is given those little circles instead of proper eyes seems to lend itself to a comparison with Hanks.

He might need his nose built up a little, but I could live with it, I think…
Martine
#42 · Posted: 9 Oct 2004 18:46
I'm fine with Tom Hanks. He's a good actor, anyway. Everything else (like looks) can be made up by Hollywood.

I also agree that the role of Tintin should be played by someone young and maybe not so well-known. They will probbaly go that way, like they did with Harry Potter and Star Wars, both populated with unknowns.
Whoever takes the lead role must probably know that he'll never work again. At least not a a star.

That Kirsten Myburgh fellow sounds about right; also, that guy from 'Everwood'.
I'd go with James McAvoy.
Pelaphus
#43 · Posted: 12 Oct 2004 05:17
I expect Tom Hanks will surprise the doubters (which ironically include me, just a bit) and be absolutely fine as Haddock.

Though just to have it said: my ideal Haddock -- likely too old now, but he still has the juice -- would be the Canadian actor Len Cariou, who created the role of SWEENEY TODD in the Sondheim musical on Broadway. (Not to be confused with George Hearn, who replaced him, and appears on both video versions -- who would be sort of okay too.) But Cariou would just naturally give it the gradeur and the epic bluster, while still keeping it grounded and human.

As I said elsewhere, I'm also an enormous fan of Henk Poort, who DID play Haddock in the musical in the Netherlands, and brilliantly.

Of course these are all stage guys, guys with musical theatre chops at that ... but I always hear Haddock as a fellow with a deep, rich and resonant voice, and I don't know who in the current crop of screen guys quite has that in him. (Maybe Langella, years ago, but he's just a few degrees too high toned. Leslie Nielsen some years ago -- another Canadian -- even better.)

Ooo. Wait. You know who might be perfect? Yet another Canadian ... probably JUST the right age now, and bearded he would almost cut the profile ... remember the TV series DUE SOUTH? What about Paul Gross ... ?
Martine
#44 · Posted: 12 Oct 2004 13:18
I loved Due South! But I don't envision Paul Gross as the captain, and definitely not more than I see tom Hanks. In fact, I don't mind having Hanks instead, cos I know he's a great actor.

Langella might've been good.

My no. 1 pick would've been Jeremy Brett, but he's a little bit...dead.
Pelaphus
#45 · Posted: 12 Oct 2004 13:35
In the BBC Radio adaptations, the Captain is, for the first series, Leo (Rumpole) McKern, and for the second, Lionel Jeffries. You'd never have cast them on screen, but they're both excellent voice choices.
Martine
#46 · Posted: 12 Oct 2004 16:43
So what's your point, they should go by voice and then try to fix 'em up to look the part?
Then Hanks would be out of the question, his voice is too 'him', I'd recognize it anywhere even in animation.
And he defintely doesn't have that type of voice you mentioned.
Pelaphus
#47 · Posted: 12 Oct 2004 16:50
Oh, you wanted a POINT! ;-)
OJG
#48 · Posted: 12 Oct 2004 20:38
It's difficult to tell whether Paul Gross could portray Haddock well or not..but if he could I think he would make a pretty good Captain. The potential is certainly there.
Martine
#49 · Posted: 13 Oct 2004 02:07
Sure, a point. OK, in other words, why did you make that comment about good voice choices if they wouldn't work on screen? it's a moot point, then?
Also, i haven't seen Paul Gross since Due South; anyone knows where can I see him how he is now (pics, movies, tv...)
i mean, if 2 people agree on him, i should probably see for myself what the big fuss is about.
Moo
#50 · Posted: 14 Nov 2004 07:52
I heard somewhere that Robbie Williams will be playing Captain Haddock in the upcoming movie that Steven Spielberg is making.
Is this just a random thing that I heard, or has anyone else heard about this too?

Page  Page 5 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  16  Next » 

This topic is closed.