Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

"Unicorn" Movie: Plot speculation [Warning: may contain spoilers!] [Locked]

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Morganson
#11 · Posted: 22 May 2011 08:34
I'm starting to think this film is only based on The Crab with the Golden Claws and The Secret of Unicorn and not Red Rackham's Treasure as well. Or at least most of the Rackham scenes have been cut. For one thing, we haven't seen anything resembling scenes from that album in the trailers or the promo images. Also, there's been no mention of casting Calculus, and IMDb is know listing the second Tintin film as "The Adventures of Tintin: Red Rackham's Treasure.
tintinophile691
#12 · Posted: 22 May 2011 13:02
It seems like Calculus *will* be appearing in the film.

http://www.allocine.fr/film/casting_gen_cfilm=49757.html
According to this source, Toby Jones will be playing Calculus. 218 days to go 'till Boxing Day... boy, I'm getting excited...!
Rianna Lauren
#13 · Posted: 22 May 2011 13:27
tintinophile691:
According to this source, Toby Jones will be playing Calculus.

Hm, how come it didn't mention that he's playing Silk? If it's true they should at least mention that he also plays that role because it's the one that's primarily announced...

I've heard so many people saying that the guy with Allan is Sakharine aka Red Rackham's evil descendant, but is that ever canon in the books? As far as I remember Sakharine didn't have anything to do with Rackham. We don't even see him in the cast list. Or is he being played by Daniel Craig as well?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#14 · Posted: 22 May 2011 13:46
tintinophile691:
According to this source, Toby Jones will be playing Calculus.

According to IMDB, he's playing Aristides Silk, the pick-pocket, so who can say at this stage? So far I think the most likely suggestion is jock123's that Calculus will be one of the scientists involved in the Inca expedition, which unfortunately would probably mean no shark submarine - something I for one will sorely miss.

The IMDB cast list also mentions a 'Market Artist'. If this isn't a cameo appearance by Hergé I'll be very disappointed!

On a different note, I find it interesting that this film will be structured like none of the previous Tintin films - it's the first one not in French & therefore doesn't presume prior knowledge of the characters. I suppose this freed up the writers & Spielberg to make a film that stands alone, rather than relying on the viewers already being familiar with the books, & also gave them more license to cherry-pick bits from other books to make a cohesive story.

Edit: Sorry Rianna, cross-posted!
BlackIsland
#15 · Posted: 23 May 2011 03:52
Morganson:
I'm starting to think this film is only based on The Crab with the Golden Claws and The Secret of Unicorn and not Red Rackham's Treasure as well.

I know and what I wonder is why they are taking 3 books and turning them into one movie instead of just plain keeping the Golden Claws components out of it? Makes no sense.
Morganson
#16 · Posted: 24 May 2011 00:16
Richard:
I suppose this freed up the writers & Spielberg to make a film that stands alone, rather than relying on the viewers already being familiar with the books

As Hergé would say "It won't be the same Tintin but it will be a good Tintin."
BlackIsland:
Makes no sense.

I think they're adding Golden Claws components because Tintin meets Haddock in that album and they want to introduce him to audience at the same time Tintin meets him. And they couldn't really just use the Golden Claws considering it's the shortest story in the series.
BlackIsland
#17 · Posted: 28 May 2011 23:43
Yeah that makes sense but it could screw up other parts of the story. If they have to make up parts it might take away from the books flow. Hergé always had a movie type flow to the books anyway.
ilovetintin
#18 · Posted: 5 Jun 2011 21:48
Where was Tintin when it showed him listening to those guys? Was he on the ship?
BlackIsland
#19 · Posted: 1 Aug 2011 03:56
I'm not happy they are condensing three books because Crab with the Golden Claws is not enough of a story for one movie.
Tintinrulz
#20 · Posted: 1 Aug 2011 05:10
Your post contradicts itself. They're not adapting only one story for the movie. The Secret of 'The Unicorn' will contain some elements from The Crab with the Golden Claws, all of The Secret of 'The Unicorn' and very little of Red Rackham's Treasure.
Apparently the latter will be a sequel. It would explain why Professor Calculus won't make an appearance in this first movie.

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

This topic is closed.