Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

"Unicorn" Movie: Plot speculation [Warning: may contain spoilers!] [Locked]

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

mct16
#21 · Posted: 1 Aug 2011 12:09
Gad Elmaleh, who plays the part of Omar Ben Salaad, describes him as a "baddie. But a fake baddie, like in plays by Molière. He is manipulated and a little overwhelmed by events."

BTW, Elmaleh voiced Gru in the French version of Despicable Me. Looks like he's set for a career of voicing computer-animated villains.
Rianna Lauren
#22 · Posted: 3 Aug 2011 11:45
mct16:
a "baddie. But a fake baddie, like in plays by Molière

Do you have any link/source on where this came from?
jock123
#23 · Posted: 3 Aug 2011 12:39
Rianna Lauren:
Do you have any link/source on where this came from?

I think it's a translation of a quote, possibly taken from this interview (or similar) in French.
Rianna Lauren
#24 · Posted: 4 Aug 2011 12:02
I translated a part of it and it actually said: "I live in the palace that houses the Unicorn Tintin and Haddock want to retrieve. I am a true villain, a villain to Molière or the commedia dell'arte."
Sooo what's a fake villain and what's a true villain? I don't see anything about being "manipulated and overwhelmed" either. (Or this is just me hoping deep inside that Sakharine is not going to be a bad guy.)
jock123
#25 · Posted: 4 Aug 2011 12:11
Rianna, it could just be that I found the wrong interview, and that this was Gad giving a slightly different version of the Molière story...
Rianna Lauren
#26 · Posted: 4 Aug 2011 12:29
Oh. Alright. I'm sorry, I was freaking out. It always happens to me when it comes to speculations and stuff. Sorry.
Rianna Lauren
#27 · Posted: 5 Oct 2011 17:11
Hello, just posting up the new trailer that came out today. The spoilery bit (or maybe not too spoilery since you've all been sure of it, except me) - the guy is Sakharine.
mct16
#28 · Posted: 10 Oct 2011 15:46
Rianna Lauren:
I am a true villain, a villain to Molière or the commedia dell'arte." Sooo what's a fake villain and what's a true villain?

What did you use for the translation? A dictionary which gives the French term "faux" as "true" belongs in the fire or taken off line.

Faux méchant translates literally into English as "false baddy". When you lived in France for 16 years like I did, you can be a little certain about these things.

It could be an expression that has some kind of double-meaning. My best guess is that in this film Ben Salaad is an enemy but shouldn't be. A bit like: they spend much of the story fighting one another, only to discover at the end that they are actually on the same side.

Since Gad Elmaleh connects this to 17th century plays, I'll leave to a scholar of Molière or the commedia dell'arte to explain what it means.

Rianna Lauren:
The spoilery bit (or maybe not too spoilery since you've all been sure of it, except me) - the guy is Sakharine.

In the original book, Sakharine could be seen as a "fake villain" since Tintin suspects him of stealing the model ship (at the beginning) or of stealing the parchments from the Bird brothers. In both cases, he turns out to be innocent.

Could be that that is Omar Ben Salaad's role in this story. These days, you have to tread carefully when depiction a Muslim villain.

Apparently Sakharine in the film is Red Rackham's descendant. Looking at the books, I can imagine the relationship being put down to their beards, which are similar, but Sakharine's nose is more hawk-like than Rackham's. This might even nullify the "descendants of Red Rackham" joke from the Red Rackham's Treasure book.
jock123
#29 · Posted: 18 Oct 2011 16:58
From over in the general movie thread:
mct16:
"400 years ago, a power that could have changed the course of history was lost"

Could it be a reference to a treasure of the Incas? Was the gold in the chest looted from a Spanish galleon by Red Rackham, along with another artifact? We know that the Incas still have a power which could have changed history - their ability to control the explorers in their trance a hemisphere away could have had a devastating effect on figures throughout history, had they chosen to exploit it. But perhaps they lost something more?
Could this be the way to lead into a Prisoners movie sequel? It would, as I speculated before, allow them to introduce Calculus as a scientist, have him on the treasure finding leg of the journey with his shark sub, then be whisked off having got the bracelet...?
Morganson
#30 · Posted: 20 Oct 2011 08:29
jock123

Nice theory!

Just saw some gameplay of the video game. If this is any indication, the Bird brothers will appear!

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

This topic is closed.