Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Anyone Else Back into Indiana Jones/Carl Barks??

rodney
#1 · Posted: 5 Aug 2011 00:50
Hi!

Since the eagerly (and I mean eagerly!) anticipation of the upcoming Tintin film I found I've really got back into watching Indiana Jones plus reading my Carl Barks comics, particularly 'The Seven Cities of Cibola'.

In case you don't know, it was this story by Barks which actually inspired George Lucas to create that memorable 1st scene in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' where the massive boulder chases after Indy to block the idol temple.
Lucas credits Barks in helping him come up with this idea.
Both Lucas and Steven Spielberg were huge fans of Barks (they avidly read the comics whilst growing up) and hold him in very high regard.

The re watching of Indiana Jones plus rereading Carl Bark's classic stories is somewhat sustaining me (I hope!) until the end of the year!

Rod :)
george
#2 · Posted: 6 Aug 2011 17:17
It has been a long while since I saw an Indiana Jones film - I still have the unpleasant taste of the most recent instalment in my mouth. The phrase "What were they thinking?" comes to mind...

Barks I revisit quite often. When I was much younger I got the UK Disney weeklies published by IPC/Fleetway which would often include work by Barks - although I never knew that at the time. Generally speaking I think they just did the ten-pagers but the annuals would have longer strips. Once Gladstone picked up the licence in the 80s I was able to catch up on all the classics from the 40s and 50s, plus the best of the rest - Rosa, Van Horn, Gottfredson, Scarpa, and so on.

Talking of Barks and Lucus, later this year Fantagraphics are starting a reprint series of all his Duck books (I think) and use a George Lucas quote in the publicity material: "A PRICELESS PART OF OUR LITERARY HERITAGE".

As you say, something to fill the time before the Tintin film is released.

George
rodney
#3 · Posted: 7 Aug 2011 04:01
george:
I was able to catch up on all the classics from the 40s and 50s, plus the best of the rest - Rosa, Van Horn, Gottfredson, Scarpa, and so on

Ah yes, the other Disney masters of comic art!
I particularly like Romano Scarpa, I think he's very underrated and was one of the best with Mickey Mouse stories.

Unfortunately the Fantagraphics site only caters for Canada/US orders so I'll have to obtain the book by some other means..

Rod
rodney
#4 · Posted: 7 Aug 2011 04:01
george:
I was able to catch up on all the classics from the 40s and 50s, plus the best of the rest - Rosa, Van Horn, Gottfredson, Scarpa, and so on

Ah yes, the other Disney masters of comic art!
I particularly like Romano Scarpa, I think he's very underrated and was one of the best with Mickey Mouse stories.

Unfortunately the Fantagraphics site only caters for Canada/US orders so I'll have to obtain the book by some other means..

Rod

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!