Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: Tintin in the Land of Blu-Ray

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 18 Sep 2010 21:39
Check this link, there are a few volumes of the Ellipse-Nelvana seriesout on Blu-Ray. This is very good news!
Rianna Lauren
#2 · Posted: 19 Sep 2010 00:58
Wow! That's awesome news. :D Tintin domination. lol
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 19 Sep 2010 06:13
I would like to see some screen shots of these first it may make me buy Blu-Ray
jock123
#4 · Posted: 19 Sep 2010 11:12
They are Region B discs, so will only play on players for that region if you haven’t got a multi-region enabled player; they have also been cropped (had parts of the image removed) to make them pseudo-wide screen.

Add to that the price tag for just three stories, and it doesn’t make me feel like shelling out for a Blu-Ray player just yet…
The Black Island
#5 · Posted: 25 Sep 2010 17:28
Very good news, but I think I will wait until the whole collection is released. As for the normal version, they are a bit grainy, and the HD remastering will make them look very fine indeed.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 25 Sep 2010 20:57
The Black Island:
As for the normal version, they are a bit grainy, and the HD remastering will make them look very fine indeed.

I can’t say that I can see an undue amount of grain in the image, either as broadcast, or on DVD, to be honest, but there’s nothing about Blu-Ray which inherently guarantees any improvement in the picture quality: if the limitation is already in the original, if anything it might make it even more obvious.

Cel animations often have a lot of dust and dirt “built in”, as no matter how careful the artists and camera operators are, and however clean the studio environment, particles easily adhere to the images as they are laid on the rostrum. It’s very expensive and time-consuming to clean all of this out, and that’s only if it is actually feasible to do so, as you run the risk of removing details which are meant to be there.

I’m not certain that there will be any major restoration or clean up involved in this release, as I’m not sure it would make the money back.

Frankly I’d worry more about losing the parts of the image they’ll trim to make the “wide-screen” version, as it reduces the picture and can muck up framing of shots, much as the old pan-and-scan process did when going in the opposite direction, for fitting wide-screen movies to a TV screen.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 4 Sep 2011 00:39
Announced on Amazon - The Adventures of Tintin [Blu-ray], due for release on the 10th of October in the UK by Anchor Bay. Presumably this is the recent French remasters with an English language soundtrack; no word whether it's 16:9 or 4:3 but if they're taking the French release as a basis I would imagine it's cropped to 16:9.
number1fan
#8 · Posted: 5 Sep 2011 11:09
This may actually sway be to get a Blu-Ray player.Though i would like to see some screen shots.Im guessing it will fitted for Widescreen and miss off the tops of heads.The last boxset on DVD i felt it looked a bit transparent at times.Im hoping with a new HD transfer it will change vastly.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#9 · Posted: 5 Sep 2011 11:27
number1fan:
Though i would like to see some screen shots

There's a clip from 'The Blue Lotus' available on the official Tintin channel on YouTube. For some reason the sound & video appears to be out of sync, but it's enough to demonstrate the visual difference in the new remasters.
number1fan
#10 · Posted: 6 Sep 2011 05:10
It looks like better quality but its compressed.Which doesn't represent it being on a big TV.Hopefully DVD Beaver will review it.

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!