Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Identification Needed: Old Tintin black and white film on BBC?

scobuc
#1 · Posted: 6 Oct 2011 16:14
Hi,
Having just seen a trailer for the new film, memories are flooding back from the past.
I'm trying to trace a Tintin film shown in the UK during the 1970s. All I remember was that it was in black and white and had a wonderful upbeat tune/theme. I know this doesn't give a lot to go on (sorry!) but would be greatful for any clues!
Thanks!
S
jock123
#2 · Posted: 6 Oct 2011 23:59
Although you may have had a black and white TV at the time, the movie you are thinking of was, most likely, Tintin and the Golden Treasure - now better known as Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece, or more simply, Tintin and the Golden Fleece - which means that it was actually broadcast in colour when it was shown on BBC1 on Monday, May 1st, 1978.

It's been made available by the BFI from all good DVD stockists, and comes with the original French soundtrack, English sub-titles, and the option of the English language soundtrack with which the BBC showed it.
scobuc
#3 · Posted: 14 Oct 2011 11:14
Hi Jock,
Many thanks for the information re. the film!
Being the 70s, we probably did have B&W (how things change!).
Thank you also for the information on where I can obtain a copy.
I just wish the BBC would show such classics more often!
Very best wishes,
S
jock123
#4 · Posted: 14 Oct 2011 16:34
No trouble at all! Like you, I was lucky to see it when the BBC showed it; it wasn't a holiday in Scotland, but I was actually off school sick the morning it was on; so excited was I by seeing it, that I did the opposite of many, and faked wellness to go back to school that afternoon to tell my pals about it!

scobuc:
I just wish the BBC would show such classics more often!

It would have been a double-edged sword in this case - while it would have undoubtedly been fantastic to have had more opportunities to see it, had the BBC not accidentally retained the print they had, and left it un-used, thereby avoiding reducing any deterioration, it might have been damaged, or, worse, returned to the distributor and destroyed, rather than making its way to the BFI for restoration, preservation, and ultimately a DVD release!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!