Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: Tintin in the Land of Blu-Ray

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

timh
#11 · Posted: 9 Oct 2011 03:42
I have all of the French blu-ray volumes of the show. They've been cropped to 16:9 as previously mentioned, but apart from that are mostly pretty clear in terms of picture quality. Some parts however, are inexplicably unclear - like they've been zoomed in on digitally. Not sure how to describe it, but it only happens occasionally through the volumes I've watched.
jock123
#12 · Posted: 9 Oct 2011 12:14
timh:
Some parts however, are inexplicably unclear - like they've been zoomed in on digitally.

I’d imagine that the explanation is that, having cropped the image using a mask top and bottom, to fake the wide-screen look, some scenes will have been left with random odds-and-ends of people and things left obtruding into them: people without heads, bits of signs or what-have-you, which could be distracting. These will have required them to zoom in further on the image, removing the offending item, but leading to a drop in relative quality.
timh
#13 · Posted: 15 Oct 2011 03:59
One thing I was curious about - the music on the French audio track is noticably higher-pitched throughout the whole show - opening credits, background music, the lot. As someone who'd only heard the English track before, it sounded very very different. Has it always been this way, or is it a Blu-ray peculiarity?
number1fan
#14 · Posted: 15 Oct 2011 20:40
The new DVD's are brilliant and seem to be bursting with colour I like it.
tintinophile691
#15 · Posted: 18 Nov 2011 06:28
Madman Entertainment of Australia is also releasing a similar re-mastered set.

http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/15587/the-adventures-of-tintin -remastered-bluray
http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/15586/the-adventures-of-tintin -remastered

I have a few questions about the new sets, the Madman copy in particular: are the episode recaps cut out? Are the two episodes edited into one like some copies of the previous set? Will it include French audio? Is it cropped to 16:9? There doesn't appear to be any new Special Features.

(Note: I know it doesn't mention French audio on the official site, but Madman has been known to be dishonest about details like this - for example, some Tintin DVDs I have do have French audio, but the Transformers set I bought did not have English subtitles. Both of the time, it contradicts what was said on the packaging and official site.)
timh
#16 · Posted: 27 Nov 2011 14:59
I'll pick up the Madman release when it hits stores this week, so should be able to answer the questions then
timh
#17 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 12:26
I picked up the Madman box-set today. It's similar to the French releases (can't comment on the US/UK release as I don't own it). It's cropped to 16:9, but slightly less tightly. Episodes are still split into separate parts, and titles are presented in English. No french audio, and the pitch of the English audio seems to be a bit out - it sounds as if it's been slowed down slightly. Very noticeable on the opening credits.
Tintinrulz
#18 · Posted: 1 Dec 2011 05:49
Why on earth would they crop the picture to the Widescreen format? I love Widescreen as much as the next person but I believe something should be viewed in the original format as it was created. In this case the release should be Remastered Fullscreen.
number1fan
#19 · Posted: 1 Dec 2011 19:03
No for them to be 'HD' it has to be in a Widescreen format to compress the image.
jock123
#20 · Posted: 1 Dec 2011 22:54
number1fan:
it has to be in a Widescreen format to compress the image.

They could easily fit the pictures with black pillars to left and right to make the over-all image widescreen, without need for cropping when processing for HD; they do it all the time on TV when they put standard frame material into wide-screen programmes.
However, some people seem to think that they aren’t getting “value for money” from their expensive big-screen TVs if there are bands, and thus they’d rather lose picture…

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!