Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Land of the Soviets: remake attempts?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

BlueBlisteringBarnacles
#11 · Posted: 13 Oct 2004 16:11
A counterpart story to Soviets about the collapse of communism could be a good idea. A character could be shown in the Land of Soviets, would then is shown again in the 'sequel' showing the changes.

I don't think the Foundation would ever allow such a thing, it would have to be a pirate book unfortunately. Still it's an interesting potential.

Stylistically it would be nice to see it adopt the look of the earlier Tintin stories, such as The Blue Lotus, to visibly set it apart as an early era story (although admittedly Hergé didn't seem that worried about making his work era styled, such as Snowy's "I'd rather be back at Marlinspike" line in Cigars of the Pharaoh).
jock123
#12 · Posted: 13 Oct 2004 17:07
BlueBlisteringBarnacles exemplified:
Herge didn't seem that worried about making his work era styled, such as Snowy's "I'd rather be back at Marlinspike" line in Cigars of the Pharaoh

That'll be down to foreign translations of the books arriving out of sequence – in the English continuity, for example, Marlinspike was long-established by the time that Cigars was done.
BlueBlisteringBarnacles
#13 · Posted: 13 Oct 2004 17:30
good point well made. What do you think about the style changes though when Cigars was redrawn? would you like a new soviets to be drawn a bit more 'historically' correct (given of course that it wouldn't look as 'back-dated' as the original).
kirthiboy
#14 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 00:44
What do you think about the style changes though when Cigars was redrawn?

Btw that gets me to a question, if alph-art was made, would u guys like the coloring same as earlier albums or the vector type coloring done using computers? I would prefer the former.
BlueBlisteringBarnacles
#15 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 09:54
Definately, I really don't like modern colouring with gradients instead of block colour, they tend to look too fake (in a weird way). Also the choice of the pallete is essential, it needs to be quite muted, and washed out to look like the earlier adventures,
jock123
#16 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 14:00
I suppose that if it were to be done as a pastiche, it would be possible to select any of Hergé’s “eras” - an early colour look, a “Calculus Affair” fifties/ sixties look, or a “Picaros” seventies slacks and loafers, and to imagine that the book had in fact been re-drawn in each of these periods...

As to the colouring, I like the early books with the hand-painted colouring, like “Shooting Star”, which adds tones and slight shadings which later books seemed to lose. That’s what I’d aim for.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#17 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 17:00
I'd like to see a remake of Soviets done in an early style - perhaps the same as the colour Congo ? It's still reminiscent of the early style, yet suits the use of colour. Definitely hand-coloured, although there are very, very few artists nowadays who would hand-colour a comic strip. We've already seen the death of hand-lettering in the new black and white facsimile English editions.

For the fall-of-communism 'sequel' to Soviets - call it "Tintin #25", say - I think it should reflect the time period it's set, and so would be in a late 80s, early 90s style. Of course, we were never able to witness that in Tintin, but it would have to be an extension of Picaros-style, maybe take into account the advertising work being put out in the 80s featuring the characters. Still, hand colouring would be best.
kirthiboy
#18 · Posted: 17 Oct 2004 23:11
Perhaps Herge did think about remaking Soviets and then dropped the idea; there is a one-page drawing that looks very much like Herge's work...

[Post edited to remove link]
BlueBlisteringBarnacles
#19 · Posted: 19 Oct 2004 11:20
Yeah, that page is great, never knew Herge had tried to redraw, always thought he rejected the story. Maybe our dream of a Soviets remake was closer to actuality then we thought!
jock123
#20 · Posted: 19 Oct 2004 23:52
Curiouser and curiouser! It looks to be genuine, as far as I can tell from a scan: the style looks right, the drawing looks plausible, and the doodling all round the margins certainly is like the sort of thing on other boards by Hergé. But when would he have done it? My guess – and it is only a guess – is that it might be from that time when he was uncertain of what to do next, when he had reject “ThermoZéro” as unsuitable. Might he have turned to a ready-for-adaptation self-penned story, albeit one of which he was apparently not fond?
My other thought was that it might have been a mainly Bob de Moor/ Studio project, perhaps as a possible strip in the magazine at some point, with the main characters re-worked by Hergé.
Or is it some elaborate hoax, a joke page made by the studio, or just a bit of fun for Hergé?? Whatever its origin, I am very taken with it – the vitality of the movement, and the overall impression of Tintin as happy – constantly smiling ’til he falls asleep – have impressed me much more than the “Alph-Art” pages!

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!