Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Golden Fleece & Blue Oranges: BFI DVD Releases

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

jock123
#31 · Posted: 24 Oct 2011 17:19
Rocky:
Does anyone know?

I’ve sent a message to our man at the BFI and hopefully we’ll have an answer soon!

Update!: Very soon, as it happens - thanks, Vic! Our very own Poet Zloty tells me that the difference is that there is no booklet, and no original audio-track: it only has the English language dub, no French.
Oh, and of course, different cover art.

There you go!
Rocky
#32 · Posted: 4 Nov 2011 18:08
Thanks for the info, Jock123. I have now finally bought the BFI Golden Fleece DVD (with booklet) to replace my naughty 2007 bootleg English dub DVD (in case you're wondering it's the video from the official French DVD I bought ages ago plus the audio of the 2007 NFT screening, complete with audience laughter!).
number1fan
#33 · Posted: 5 Nov 2011 07:21
Rocky:
in case you're wondering it's the video from the official French DVD I bought ages ago plus the audio of the 2007 NFT screening, complete with audience laughter!).

Thats interesting which scenes got the biggest laugh?.
Rocky
#34 · Posted: 5 Nov 2011 14:09
From memory: Tintin's fisticuffs with a bad guy in the ship's cabin got a laugh, Snowy putting out the fuse, and also the sinister musical sting that was played whenever we see the crocodile logo.
worcestershire
#35 · Posted: 25 Nov 2011 21:14
Years ago, when I was a child, my parents and I watched a series on the PBS show MASTERPIECE THEATRE called "The Buddenbrooks." This series was German but had been dubbed by British actors; my mother was the first of the three of us to notice the voice dubbing, as the lips of the characters did not move properly in time with the English dialogue. I am hoping "Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece" was much better dubbed.
jock123
#36 · Posted: 25 Nov 2011 22:06
worcestershire:
I am hoping "Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece" was much better dubbed.
As was discussed earlier in this very thread, the disk booklet itself describes the dubbing as "loose lip-synching".

There's no way round it, really: if the actors are not saying the words that you are hearing, the match can never be more than tenuous. The dialogue is tweaked to make the fit better, but it can never be perfect.

That's just the way it is, but it's the price you pay for getting to hear it spoken in English.
Tintins Quiff
#37 · Posted: 12 Jan 2012 17:26
Haven't seen this mentioned in this thread as of yet, but there are actually two BFI releases of Golden Fleece to buy. One has a yellow/black cover and contains the English dubbed version only. If you want both the French subs and English dub of the film, go for the DVD with the blue cover. I bought the yellow/black edition online, and have re-bought as I wanted the original language also. Hope this helps any potential buyers

Moderator Note: Member Richard actually mentioned it in another thread last November, although as you said it hadn’t made it into this one… 
The Happy Tintinologist Team
Balthazar
#38 · Posted: 12 Jan 2012 17:47
Thanks for the tip-off, Tintins Quiff. I'd noticed there was a new DVD cover when buying The Golden Fleece for a nephew's Christmas present, but hadn't realised that this was a different edition, with the English dub soundtrack only. However, given he's eight years old, I think this is the only version he's likely to want to watch anyway, so no harm done in that case!

But useful info for anyone who'd prefer watching it in the original French with subtitles.
Tintins Quiff
#39 · Posted: 12 Jan 2012 18:17
Yes, some sites aren't very clear with dvd details, so I wanted to give out this information for others. I usually prefer films in their original language (as a fan of anime and world movies) but I thought Golden Fleece had a very enjoyable dub!
jock123
#40 · Posted: 5 May 2013 23:53
Sapristi:
does anyone know if he did his own stunts?

I realise that this is coming a little after the fact, but given that the movie is on T.V. tomorrow, I was looking back at the existing discussion... The answer is (perhaps surprisingly) - yes! He was very fit, knew some martial arts, was a strong swimmer, and generally was pretty much a real-life Tintin, so Jean-Pierre Talbot did what you see on screen!
Triskeliae:
Maybe he did a few, but I doubt that the film makers would let him climb down all the Rumelishe Tower, in Turkey.

I agree it's surprising, but he actually did the climb, without a safety harness or any means of support other than the rope shown on screen, and wasn't doubled.
He made it unscathed, and was presented with a medal by the keepers of the castle as a memento of his unorthodox descent!

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!