Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: News and general discussion

Page  Page 65 of 65:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  63  64  65 

Balthazar
#641 · Posted: 16 Nov 2011 19:46
jock123:
if they plan to do further sequels after the third film, they don’t want to use up too many.

They seem to have used up most of the pre-Haddock adventures in that quick montage of press cuttings they show near the start of the film! I guess it was quite a slick way to establish a bit of background for film-goers new to Tintin. But it did occur to me when I was watching it that they were rather burning their bridges by ruling out all those early books for future films.
jock123
#642 · Posted: 16 Nov 2011 20:47
Balthazar:
it did occur to me when I was watching it that they were rather burning their bridges by ruling out all those early books for future films.

Oh I don’t thinks so – they can always do them as flash-backs: “Did I ever tell you Captain, that I’d been to Syldavia before…?” (Cue the harp glissando and rippling screen…)

Or just imagine, the camera wanders around the wall once more, but instead of pulling away, it goes into the photograph…

If they need them, they’ll do them!
Bordurian Thug
#643 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 18:47
Possibly the worst piece I've seen yet which takes some doing. Actually possibly the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen, and I've read the Daily Star!

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100118213/why-tintin-is-a- blarite/
Balthazar
#644 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 20:30
Bordurian Thug:
Possibly the worst piece I've seen yet which takes some doing.

That's pretty horrible, I grant you, but I think it might be contested in the total drivel stakes by this piece from the Daily Record (probably Scotland's most knuckle-headed and mindlessly flag-waving newspaper, and that's saying something!)

It seems to be an unwritten rule in journalism that every article about Tintin has to contain at least one slightly inaccurate statement. But, as you'll see, virtually every paragraph in this piece - particularly in the first half of the article - contains at least one horribly mangled or completely inaccurate fact if not several. No opportunity to get a concept, date or even key book title wrong has been missed!

In fairness to their "Tintinologist" professor, I guess it may be that he didn't actually spout any of this bilge himself, but may be being badly misunderstood and misquoted by the journalist responsible for writing the piece. Who knows who's to blame, but you can sort of see which actual fact or idea about Tintin or Hergé might lie behind most of the bizarre statements (which makes it all the more painful to read, of course.)
Tintinrulz
#645 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 23:31
That article was terrible! I will say this though. English-speaking Tintin fans, having grown up/only read the English translations (myself included) can be forgiven for thinking Captain Haddock's ancestor, Sir Francis, belonged to the British Navy rather than serving under Louis XIV of France, as in the original album, as that's what the English translations led us to believe.
Balthazar
#646 · Posted: 18 Nov 2011 15:10
Curious as to what else Laurence Gove might have written on Tintin, I did a quick google search and found this article he wrote for the BBC website a few years ago – wrote himself, rather than being "quoted" by a journalist. As you can see, it's fairly accurate, as you'd expect, given he's apparently president of the International Bande Desinée Society, and his opinions are much more measured. True, many of us would disagree with some of his pet theories and statements about Hergé and his characters and books (and quite a few people have disagreed in the comments section below the article), but that seems fair enough - all within the realm of healthy debate. It's certainly nothing like the mangled mess in the Daily Record piece.

This bolsters my suspicion that the Daily Record journalist is to blame. My guess (a completely uninformed guess, I should stress) is that the journalist was trawling the net for info on Tintin in the week of the movie release, found this old article and skim-read it, maybe phoned the author, then rehashed everything from the original article and interview, mangling all the facts, mis-grasping all the opinions and hyping up the Scottish angle. You can sort of see the unmangled origins of most of the article's wilder statements in the more sober original article.

Assuming something like that is the case, my sympathies to Laurence Gove, and, if he happens to chance upon this thread, my apologies for giving the Daily Record piece more publicity!
mct16
#647 · Posted: 19 Nov 2011 22:47
Balthazar:
Respect for accuracy or for your reader's intelligence would pretty much rule you out for being employed on most Scottish tabloids and indeed most British ones generally.

My journalist father agrees with you wholehartedly on this, which is one reason why he never worked for the tabloids.

I'm simply naive. I think it important to point out inacuracies because we need to trust the press in order to know what is going on in the world.

Dr Gove was good enough to answer an email about the article, with the following comments:

"Thank you for your email. I always welcome discussion, and it is clear that you are a connoisseur of Tintin. But in short, I would still put L'Ile noire as a key album, for the following reasons:

"--although, as you say, Le Lotus bleu marked a turning point, racial stereotyping is still clear within it. L'Ile noire is the first album where the exotic Other is not threatening or inferior, but truly a draw to an outside world that supplements that of Tintin

"--L'Ile noire was the only album to be redone twice. the 1965 version stands as the prefect example of the ligne claire, at the very time when Hergé was to influence Warhol and the pop art movement.

"I summarise here, but these are my main points. For the article interview I used the French title, which Brian McIver translated as the Black Isle. Linguistically that is correct, but you are quite right in pointing out that that the published title is The Black Island.

"Again, thank you for your comments. Opinions may differ but debate and exchange is surely a good thing.

"Very Best Wishes
"Laurence"
tintinagalog
#648 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 07:32
Hahahaha!!! If ever this forum was a competition, I would have won the grand prize!!! Hahaha!!! My 2008 hunch was right all along, as Tintin and Haddock had their "First Meeting", and Professor Calculus was absent at the film!!!

This was my post from some years ago:
Posted: 31 Aug 2008 07:03
Hmmn... so did they deleted (should be 'delete') the idea of Haddock and Tintin's "First Meeting" as shown in "Crab with the Golden Claws"?

I'm not against this Unicorn title as the first of the three Tintin installments. in fact, it's one of the funniest, most exciting episodes to watch out for as a movie/ tv series. However, for the Unicorn Movie, what effective strategy will Spielberg do to meet these characters? Set aside Calculus, for he will introduce himself and his Shark Submersible.

--
[Moderator action: merged 2 posts.]
Harrock n roll
#649 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 09:26
tintinagalog:
Hahahaha!!! If ever this forum was a competition, I would have won the grand prize!!! Hahaha!!! My 2008 hunch was right all along, as Tintin and Haddock had their "First Meeting", and Professor Calculus was absent at the film!!!

Congratulations, you've won a bottle of 'szpradj' and a packet of freeze-dried instant 'szlaszeck' with mushrooms! To be collected from 431 Marlinspike...
tintinagalog
#650 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 14:26
Harrock n roll
Hurray! A toast to everyone!

Page  Page 65 of 65:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  63  64  65 

This topic is closed.