Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

"Unicorn" Movie: Castafiore's party trick [Warning: spoilers!]

tintinophile691
#1 · Posted: 18 Nov 2011 06:18
So... what are your opinions of this part of the film?

I would have posted this in the Tintin film review thread, but it just didn't seem right, as this isn't a review.

Anyway, I guess I could have lived with that part of the film, but the fact that the glass case shattered in slow motion changed my mind about forgiving it!

Moderator Note: Please have consideration for those who haven’t yet seen America - don’t put plot points in titles, and warn people that the thread has spoilers in it! It’s only fair to others.
Your title has been amended.
The Tintinologist Team
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 18 Nov 2011 09:07
We've been discussing it here in the review thread already, though I see your point that such a discussion of such a specific plot point might not be a review exactly, and might merit it's own thread.
mct16
#3 · Posted: 18 Nov 2011 11:44
Actually there is a discussion on this topic under the reviews of this film by forum members.

Moderator Note: While it may be appropriate to mention it in passing as part of a review, the reviews thread isn’t the place to discuss plot points in any detail. As both tintinophile691 and Balthazar comment, it’s not a review he’s is posting.

It’s more a question of the review thread going off topic, than this being the wrong place to discuss the point. It’s also fair to say that Balthazar had already added a link back to the review thread in the message above.

The Tintinologist Team
FormulaFourteen
#4 · Posted: 26 Dec 2011 06:57
tintinophile691
I found it very interesting that all of the glass around Castafiore shattered except Sakharine's glasses. Other people's glasses broke, but not his. This didn't add a lot to the scene considering that even without internal inconsistencies this plot feature was fairly far-fetched.
kestert
#5 · Posted: 29 Dec 2011 02:57
FormulaFourteen:
I found it very interesting that all of the glass around Castafiore shattered except Sakharine's glasses. Other people's glasses broke, but not his. This didn't add a lot to the scene considering that even without internal inconsistencies this plot feature was fairly far-fetched.

I would assume that because his plan was to break glass, he would have had made glasses that weren't going to break. I think that's the part that makes any sense.

It's a pity they didn't go with The Calculus Affair type contraption instead.

That said, as ridiculous as this part was, it was hardly the dumbest bit in the movie.
AngelofLight
#6 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 06:51
FormulaFourteen:
I found it very interesting that all of the glass around Castafiore shattered except Sakharine's glasses. Other people's glasses broke, but not his.

Haha, I've noticed that every time I've seen the movie (5)! Also, the other glass cases of the ships seem to be fine. My older brother's theory is that glass shatters at different frequencies, and only some of the glass in the area broke because of this.

i still find it ridiculous that a BULLETPROOF GLASS case will shatter, but not a tiny pair of spectacles.

This part in general was silly. It was a cliche, over-dramatic-implausible and REALLY predictable. As soon as she started singing you could clearly tell what was going to happen.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!