Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Endpapers: Gallery of portraits on the inside covers of Tintin albums?

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Navin
#1 · Posted: 27 Nov 2011 19:10
Hi can anyone give me a list of he characters depicted on the inside pages of some tintin books. I cannot identify one character and its driving me mad!
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 27 Nov 2011 21:03
There are so many portraits on those endpapers that writing a complete list would take a while. Could you tell us which portrait it is you can't identify, by giving its position and a rough description? - eg: "front set of endpapers, left-hand page, five stripes across, third picture up, bloke with the moustache in the square plain frame," or somesuch rough identification. (I just made that example up, I should add!) Then I'm sure we could tell you who it is, if any of us know.
Navin
#3 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 15:21
It’s at the back of Flight 714, below the portrait of Captain Haddock in the fancy dress outfit from Destination Moon and to the left of the portrait of Pablo. It’s on the top left hand corner.

Many thanks for the prompt reply.
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 16:03
I think that's the baddie from Tintin in the Congo (although he's looking better shaved in this portrait than he is during most of of the book). I think he's nameless for most of the book, but after he's killed, when Tintin tracks down his superiors, it transpires that his name was Tom.

That was one of several endpaper portraits that I couldn't identify either when I was young, since Congo wasn't published in English back then. Nor were Blue Lotus or Tintin in America for most of my childhood.
Navin
#5 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 17:36
Yes you are quite correct. I checked up on the colour re drawn Congo book i have and it is indeed Tom. Many thanks.
Ps i posted a query in the books section about explorers on the moon that you might find interesting.
mct16
#6 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 17:39
Balthazar:
That was one of several endpaper portraits that I couldn't identify either when I was young, since Congo wasn't published in English back then. Nor were Blue Lotus or Tintin in America for most of my childhood.

Sue the publishers for emotional stress. That'll teach them not to publish non-PC or "out-of-date" books.
Navin
#7 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 19:35
http://tintin.eugraph.com/tqsect/visquiz/gallery/index.html check this out. All the portraits are named.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 21:12
mct16:
Sue the publishers for emotional stress. That'll teach them not to publish non-PC or "out-of-date" books.

Tsk tsk! The compensation culture rears it’s ugly head! It’s okay that the books are out now, but instant gratification is no replacement for the excitement of a new Tintin book coming out in English for the first time!

Those mysterious figures in the unknowable portraits bring promise of things yet to come…! There wasn’t any stress involved – it was good to know that there were still stories to be told.

Remember, when I was growing up even pictures from Broken Ear and Land of Black Gold fell into that category, and 714 and Picaros hadn’t even been written, let alone been included in pictures in the gallery (actually, I don’t think that anything after Calculus Affair is there).

Navin:
check this out. All the portraits are named.

Actually I’ve been working on a guide to the gallery for a little while, so hopefully if I can finish that off, we’ll be able to get it on this site soon!
mct16
#9 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 22:20
Jock123
That was a joke!
jock123
#10 · Posted: 30 Nov 2011 23:40
…and that was nostalgia!

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!