Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Jules Verne

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

cigars of the beeper
#31 · Posted: 14 Dec 2007 00:44
zaveri_tintin
people can also make articles telling that Jules Vernes stole his novels from the tintin adventures.

That is simply not possible. Jules Verne died in 1905 and Herge was born in 1907. Their lives did not even overlap!
jock123
#32 · Posted: 14 Dec 2007 11:58
cigars of the beeper
Jules Verne died in 1905 and Herge was born in 1907. Their lives did not even overlap!
It just shows how cunning ol' Jules Verne was - to copy him before Herge was even born: no wonder he got away with it! ;-)
I'm reading Isaac Asimov's last autobiography, and he talks about the fact that writers are inevitably influenced by, and borrowing ideas from, other works: he was influenced by Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire to write his Foundation novels as a history of a future empire; George Lucas seems to have been influenced by the Foundation novels when he wrote Star Wars.
Ideas get repeated all the time - what counts is that the artist makes them new again, and Herge certainly did that.
Jules Verne was an extraordinary writer, and so was Herge - it doesn't matter that they both wrote about mysterious islands (and if you want more comparisons, you should look at their trips to the moon!), they wrote about them differently...
youtin
#33 · Posted: 19 Apr 2008 18:27
Jules Verne! He's one of my most favorite authors! Probably 'cause most of his ideas have already become reality by the time I read them, I never thought of his stories as sci-fi but more as exciting adventures. Especially Around the World in 80 Days! That was the 1st book of his I read and I was instantly hooked. Tintin has sparked my love for a good adventure, and Jules Verne filled the gap after I was done reading all the Tintin I could get my hands on. By the way, funny thing is that sci-fi is one genre I don't like much, but I like most "old sci-fi"!
cigars of the beeper
#34 · Posted: 20 Apr 2008 00:42
I liked Around the World in Eighty Days, but I am becoming increasingly annoyed with it because it is the only one of his books that most bookstores stock.
Momber
#35 · Posted: 28 May 2010 18:50
A lot of people who read JV in English are not aware of the terrible bowdlerized original English translations that are still being reprinted today. These translations were full of errors, parts were cut out especially if JV's views were anti-British and parts were rewritten. When I discovered this I ebayed my JV collection of 1st and early editions and from then on only read the modern scholary translations. The best JV scholar is William Butcher whose translations include all the original illustrations, annotations, essays etc. Here is a link to his website.

There is also the Jules Verne forum that one can find discussions and articles on the poor translations of JV as well as a list of the best translations in English.

Severeal of JV's posthumous novels were re-written by his son Michel Verne and published under his fathers name. Recently the University of Nebraska Press have put this right by translating the original manuscripts.

Arthur Conan-Doyle who wrote the Sherlock Holmes books was so obsessed with JV that he learned French so he could read them in the original language!

After finding out about the bowdlerized translations of JV, I am very careful about reading other non-English books. I don't buy any random edition but I do my research to find the best English translation. A lot of people have said some bad things about JV which is due to the English translator/editor and not JV.

I rate 'The Mysterious Island' (Wesleyan University Press, 2002, trans. by Sidney Kravitz, introduction and notes by William Butcher) in my top 3 favorite novels. There seems to be a connection between Tintin and MI - in MI the brilliant engineer Cyrus Smith is able to solve any problem and build/make anything for the survivors such as making soap, nitroglyerine, steel etc from the natural resources of the island. Likewise Tintin can build a battering ram to penetrate a wall, carve a new propeller out of wood etc. The movie that came out is terrible and has almost nothing to do with the book. JV said in an interview that all the science and inventions in his books are possible and exist etc. For example when he was asked what he thought about H.G. Well's 'First men on the Moon' he said: "Show me this anti-gravity metal! I can show you a submarine" (he did get the method of sending his men to the Moon wrong but there are other details that are accurate in his Moon books). JV did a lot of research for his novels and collected a vast quantity of information from magazines etc that he kept in an index system like Hergé did.
Abdullah007
#36 · Posted: 29 May 2010 03:08
I'd be amazed why some people haven't even heard of Jules Verne before. He's probably one of the most famous writers, up there with HG Wells, Tolkien and CS Lewis (oh, and of course Hergé!)

I bought the Fur Country about 3 years ago, and embarassingly... I have not yet read it. Do plan to sometime, but in the meantime I might start From the Earth to the Moon these hols.
Journey to the Center of the Earth I read when I was about 4 years ago, and enjoyed it. Quite a fun read.
tintinsgf
#37 · Posted: 3 Dec 2011 15:23
I knew Jules Verne since I was a little child, yet I read his novel for the first time when I was at high school. It was Around the World in Eighty Days. I became instantly hooked to Jules Verne right after I finished reading that book. I totally recommend that book, it's awesome! And long after I read his book, I often think that sometimes vibes in Jules Verne's novels resonances in Tintin's adventure, although I don't really know, what are those vibes, and how they are related to each other, from Verne's novels to Hergé's Tintin album. Not that I say Hergé copied materials in Verne's novel entirely to Tintin adventures, I just say that Tintin's adventures and Jules Verne's novels have something in common, and it is their "vibes".

Sorry for being stingy or something, but I really need to say several things. Just my humble opinion anyway.
jock123
I don't really like what you said about Jules Verne copying Hergé. I am really displeased with it, even if you just mean it as a joke. You might be not too fond of him, but still, just respect him anyway. (I am seriously irritated looking at that post, just so you know).
zaveri_tintin
Alright I knew you are irritated by Jules Verne, but if you do so, why would you still post a message in this thread at the first place anyway?
This thread, as far as I remember, is for those who LOVE Jules Verne's works, NOT those who CONDEMN or even HATE them at the utmost intensity. So, if you pleas, next time you visit a thread with a topic you didn't like (or to be precise, you hate), don't even post about your hatred on that thread. You might disturb other people's feeling of joy of liking it. (note that showing hatred is entirely different from showing disagreement!)

Ah, sorry for the word vomit.
jock123
#38 · Posted: 3 Dec 2011 16:59
tintinsgf:
I don't really like what you said about Jules Verne copying Hergé. I am really displeased with it, even if you just mean it as a joke. You might be not too fond of him, but still, just respect him anyway. (I am seriously irritated looking at that post, just so you know).

Well obviously it isn’t my intention to irritate you, but as you say, my post is obviously a joke, and I feel justified in having made the comment in a lighthearted manner, especially as in the four years since I made it, it has failed to cause any comment.
As to who I am “not too fond of”, I don’t understand the remark, given that I actually like both Jules Verne and Hergé, and I can’t see how you arrived at the conclusion you came to.

tintinsgf:
This thread, as far as I remember, is for those who LOVE Jules Verne's works, NOT those who CONDEMN or even HATE them at the utmost intensity.

This is a more serious point.

Firstly, please do not use a thread to dictate what is, and isn’t appropriate; that’s the job of the moderators and Admin, and if they feel it necessary, they will take steps to control members who act inappropriately.
Secondly, there is nothing which says that this thread is dedicated to worship of Jules Verne, and only open to those who are uncritical of him: we run open forums, within the terms and conditions which all members agree to when they join, and, within those terms, it is just as fair for someone to offer an entirely antithetical position as it would be for someone else to gush about his genius.
You may not like their point of view (which is, upon re-reading their post not exactly as you interpret it, as it doesn’t express hatred, as you put it), but you have to let them have their say too.
Harry Hayfield
#39 · Posted: 3 Dec 2011 19:07
As a member of an international society and online forum about the works of Jules Verne (not to mention having blogged on a number of Vernian characters) I have to admit at first hand I cannot see much of a connection between Tintin and the works of Jules Verne. I suppose that some people might say "Off on a Comet" and "From the Earth to the Moon and Back" have a connection to "The Shooting Star" and "Destination / Explorers on the Moon" but would point out that "Off on a Comet" was about a comet slicing part of Earth off (not crashing into Earth) and in the Verne novels about the moon, the adventurers never actually landed.

Jules Verne Forum
North American Jules Verne Society
jock123
#40 · Posted: 3 Dec 2011 19:12
Harry Hayfield:
Assistance: Is it permissible to post a link to the Society and Forum mentioned?

Just drop an e-mail to the team with the details, and we’ll take a look first, but I don’t anticipate a problem!

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!