Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin in the Congo vs America: drawing styles compared

theone
#1 · Posted: 16 Oct 2004 00:33
I was just wondering why there is such a gap between the drawing methods from the two. In Land of the Soviets and Congo, the drawing of Tintin sort of feels loose, but in America he seems to draw more close feeling and accurate to the previous frame, etc. Even if you discard thenfact that my Congo is b&w while America is colour, there is still a difference in the drawing technique. Why is that?
Martine
#2 · Posted: 16 Oct 2004 01:17
Well, consider that they're quite far apart (in years); also, consider that only two pages were published weekly, so that also allows a lot of time for your style to mature: I mean, even if you look at Land of the Soviets, and compare the drawings from the first couple of pages to the last pages', you'll see a great difference in terms of evolution (that's the beauty of it)
I'm sure the tintinologues here can give you a much better explanation regarding publishing years and such.
theone
#3 · Posted: 16 Oct 2004 02:00
Yes, the maturing in style would work slowly though, and I was referring to the sudden change between the two. But since they were probably far apart like you said, that would explain it.
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 16 Oct 2004 02:25
Tintin in America - original (1931)
Tintin in America - colour version (1946)

That would explain the difference in quality I think.
theone
#5 · Posted: 16 Oct 2004 03:24
That doesn't make sense - was it redrawn for the colour version?

I'm referring to the difference in drawing style (from Herge) from Congo to America.
Martine
#6 · Posted: 16 Oct 2004 04:13
Yes, it was redrawn. A good group of them were, actually.
jockosjungle
#7 · Posted: 16 Oct 2004 09:29
Yes totally redrawn with new backgrounds and everything. Tintin in the Congo was redrawn also. The Black and whites are very similar in style, as are the two color versions

Rik

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!