Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Hergé: His instructions not to continue Tintin?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Rianna Lauren
#11 · Posted: 25 Jun 2010 07:56
I don't know what to say - or do.
As a fan, I highly respect Hergé and therefore I respect his wishes to not continue the Tintin adventures, and Moulinsart is getting really strict on that (and I understand that what they do is legal).
But doing fanworks is a form of appreciation, right? It's a form of tribute. And loyal fans would never in a million years claim Tintin as theirs and we can generally differ between canon Tintin and non-canon ones. It won't the same Tintin, it'll be fan-made Tintin, and it's not canon and we won't claim so.

I'm sorry if this is redundant, but really, is there nothing we can do?
Is this really "betraying" Hergé's wishes even if it's not canon?
GSC
#12 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 20:49
Woudn't that mean Yves Rodier went againsed Hergé's wishes?
ral365
#13 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 22:22
I see nothing wrong with fanfictions and artwork and whatnot. Nothing a fan produces from Tintin is official; it's just a creative idea a fan of Tintin's had.
I think what Hergé meant was that he didn't want big producers to get the rights to his franchise and keep making more comics, TV shows (as if so many classic franchises weren't ruined enough already in modern times. Spielberg and Jackson did justice to the new film, but I don't see how this should prevent us from any possible ideas for Tintin.

He's never revealed information on Tintin's past, for example, so I love it when I see fans create so many plausible situations about it. :)

Rianna Lauren:
Moulinsart is getting really strict on that (and I understand that what they do is legal)

Obviously they've kept their heads in the sand about the Viacom vs YouTube lawsuit.
Thank God for "Freedom of speech!"
Harry Hayfield
#14 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 22:30
Could I ask therefore if anyone would quibble about a Tintin story written "in tribute to" the orginal stories?
ral365
#15 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 22:36
Harry Hayfield:
Could I ask therefore if anyone would quibble about a Tintin story written "in tribute to" the orginal stories?

I think that's the point of virtually all fan art and fictions about Tintin; honoring Hergé's original work, giving him credit for his own characters, and still expressing their own creative freedom within those boundaries.
Americans do this sort of thing with every movie, comic series, TV show, etc., and virtually no one has done it to claim famous characters as their own (even picky corporations like Viacom have legally lost in that fight).
marsbar
#16 · Posted: 1 Jan 2012 00:30
GSC:
Woudn't that mean Yves Rodier went againsed Hergé's wishes?

On the face of it, yes.

ral365:
I see nothing wrong with fanfictions and artwork and whatnot. Nothing a fan produces from Tintin is official; it's just a creative idea a fan of Tintin's had. I think what Hergé meant was that he didn't want big producers to get the rights to his franchise and keep making more comics, TV shows (as if so many classic franchises weren't ruined enough already in modern times ...

That is your interpretation; the reality of the situation may be different.

ral365:
Obviously they've kept their heads in the sand about the Viacom vs YouTube lawsuit. Thank God for "Freedom of Speech!"

The ruling is not an endorsement of the practice of distributing pirated content online, for YouTube is still legally obligated to remove pirated videos promptly when requested by rights holders.

A reminder to everyone: to avoid repeating the same discussion in a number of separate threads over and over, please search before posting, and refrain from posting unless you have something new and relevant to add. Let's keep the forums tidy and all discussions tight.