Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Sounds Familiar: When names sound the same...?

calculite
#1 · Posted: 5 Jan 2012 03:28
Ever noticed how Autocart sounds a lot like Ottokar? Can you guys think of other names in Tintin that sound alike?
CuthbertCalculus
#2 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 15:15
I can't, but it amused me that I bought King Ottokar's Sceptre in an Ottakar's bookshop (which has now been consumed by Waterstone's).
Balthazar
#3 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 15:46
CuthbertCalculus:
but it amused me that I bought King Ottokar's Sceptre in an Ottakar's bookshop

Apparently, the man who founded Ottakar's bookshops, James Heneage, named the shops in honour of his favourite Tintin book, but changed the spelling slightly due to a lack of official connection.
More about the chain and the Tintin themes of some of its shops can be found in this Wikipedia article.
And more about James Heneage (including the fact that one of his sons has the middle name of Tintin!) can be found in this old newspaper article (written before the chain went under).
snowybella
#4 · Posted: 20 Apr 2017 03:01
calculite:
Ever noticed how Autocart sounds a lot like Ottokar?

I never noticed that! I can't think of any very similar-sounding names yet, but there is the almost identical two names - Ramon from The Broken Ear and Ramon Zarate from Seven Crystal Balls!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!