Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Will you Smurf a look at this?

mct16
#1 · Posted: 26 Jun 2011 00:39
A Daily Mail report on the world's largest gathering of Smurfs, not just in New York but also other parts of the world.

All smurfed for the forthcoming film of course.

The article mentions that "Guinness adjudicators officially confirmed the record for the 'largest gathering of people dressed as Smurfs within a 24-hour period in multiple venues' had been broken."

The things people do for 15 seconds of smurf.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 26 Jun 2011 13:05
I’m glad I wasn’t just hallucinating last night when I saw Smurfs walking through London Bridge Station…
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 27 Jun 2011 01:27
Looks like a good bit of fun. I feel sorry for all the Smurfs fans though; the movie looks smurfing terrible.
Becky
#4 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 12:40
If they are genuine fans, then cool. But if they are just there for the movie hype, then not cool at all. I'm sorry, but I have been a long time admirer of the Smurfs before this movie and no one cared or knew about it around my age or younger, now because of the film people like it. I just find that really annoying. The movie has completely turned me off the Smurfs when I loved them so much before...
I do not like the 3D movie look of the Smurfs at all. They look so sweet as cartoon characters!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 13:18
Becky:
If they are genuine fans, then cool. But if they are just there for the movie hype, then not cool at all.

It’s a little unfair to criticize someone else just for liking something you don’t, don’t you think?

Like being a Tintin fan, there’s no entrance qualification for liking the Smurfs, or being a “genuine” fan; I’m guessing you like them because you’ve seen the TV cartoons – but you wouldn’t like someone to say that you weren’t a real fan unless you read and enjoyed the books, or because you liked the collectible figures and they didn’t, would you?

Nobody is compelling you to enjoy the movie, but it would be a pity if you gave up what you enjoyed only because you didn’t like something else.

Rather than being negative about it, and having a bad time, why not suggest to people who have enjoyed the movie that they might like to try the cartoons or the comics, or collect the figurines, or whatever? Then you’d have someone to share your enthusiasm with, rather than being the sole Smurf fan in your neighbourhood.
mct16
#6 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 19:38
Becky, you appear to have something about "fake fans", you even mention it in your introduction.

What's wrong with people taking a passing fancy to a popular craze but not becoming devoted to it full-time? I loved the Harry Potter novels to the point that I read them all through the night. They are some of the very few books that I would call genuinely unputdownable. On the other hand, I avoided seeing the films or collecting any memorabilia such as calendars. Does that make me a fake?
Becky
#7 · Posted: 11 Jan 2012 10:45
You are totally missing the point. I mean that people only like it because it is a 'fad' or 'trend' and don't genuinely like it. I wasn't being negative at all and I'm free to expressive whether I like the movies or not. I don't have to like everything because everyone else does and because it's super popular. I cannot stand fads or trends. And I doubt I could suggest to my druggie neighbours "CHECK OUTTTT THE SMURFSSSS!" no one my age is interested in them. How am I critisizing them?! I'm just stating how it is. You are jumping down my back like I'm supposed to like everything from a show and not allowed to have an opinion. I did not once cuss out or abuse anyone. And yes, I do have a thing about 'fake fans' and if you have a problem with that, get over it...seriously! And besides, if I was being negative. I don't have to see all sunshine and blossoms over every modern version of a comic/cartoon that comes out. We aren't all robots.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 11 Jan 2012 13:38
Becky:
You are totally missing the point.

No, we just don't agree with, or even understand the point which you are making.
I can't imagine what makes it possible to judge how "genuine" anyone's feelings are about anything, nor can I see why it matters so much. If someone gets some innocent enjoyment from something like a movie, without doing anyone any harm, then good for them. It's not something measured on a scale, or which can be assigned a value, or compared to someone else's actions to see if it somehow meets a standard.

Becky:
I'm free to expressive whether I like the movies or not.

Of course you are free, and welcome, to express your opinion, but likewise you have to allow mct16 and myself to offer our response to what you say.

Becky:
How am I critisizing them?

You are saying that their enthusiasm is somehow worth less than your own, because you liked the Smurfs when they didn't, and because they liked the movie when you preferred the TV cartoons.
That certainly seems to be a criticism, even if it wasn't intended to be.

Becky:
You are jumping down my back like I'm supposed to like everything

No, nobody is jumping down anything, and nobody is saying you have to like anything; exactly the opposite, as it happens.
What is being suggested is that, rather than giving up on the Smurfs, you go on enjoying the Smurfs as you always did, and don't let the fact that other people enjoyed the movie put you off.

However, that also requires that you don't suggest that someone's love of the movie is any less genuine than your love of the TV series, because there really isn't a way to tell.

Becky:
I do have a thing about 'fake fans' and if you have a problem with that, get over it...seriously!

There's no question of a problem to get over; just puzzlement, as I said, because I can't see the point in judging the degree to which someone is a "genuine" or a "fake" fan of anything, so why stress about it?

You seem to have decided that anyone who likes the Smurf movie can't be a genuine fan of that movie.
I tried to show that that is like someone who only liked the original books suggesting that you weren't a "true fan", or were "fake", because you liked the TV series, because it came later.
It wouldn't be right - or fair - of them, so perhaps you could cut them the same slack...?

Becky:
I don't have to see all sunshine and blossoms over every modern version of a comic/cartoon that comes out. We aren't all robots.

No, that's true, you don't, and we aren't, which is why accommodating the fact that other people can genuinely like something which you or I don't, seems important to me.

I don't like Daniel Craig as James Bond; I get round that by just not bothering about Daniel Craig James Bond films, not by suggesting that Daniel Craig fans are "fake" or that they are less James Bond fans than I am.
I carry on, and they carry on, and there is no stress or problem to get over.
mct16
#9 · Posted: 11 Jan 2012 14:26
Woah, woah... hold your horses! I just think that it is possible to enjoy something, to be considered a fan of it and not be dismissed as a "fake" just because you are mixing with the crowd when something is at the height of its popularity.

I have a friend who attended a London performance of the stage production of "The Rocky Horror Show" in his wife's underwear! It's something that he had never done before or since (not if he wants to stay married to her anyway), he was just doing what a lot of others in the audience were doing as well. I hardly think it makes him a "fake", he was just having a bit of fun and had a great time.
MrCutts
#10 · Posted: 20 Mar 2012 23:20
Perhaps I should take my white hat, white all-in-one trousers (pants) and shoes and blue paint back to the shop :o)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!