Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How popular is Tintin in your country?

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Magpie
#11 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 17:24
I live in Canada. Since our official languages include english and french, you have to learn both languages in school. In grade 4 and up, we always watch Tintin shows in french! You can ask any kid in my school who Tintin is, and they'll say "We watched him in french class!" Actually, more kids know who Tintin is then adults! I asked my teacher if they knew who Tintin was, and he said "Do you mean the dog, Rin Tin Tin?" Tintin is less well know in the english provinces, but in places like Quebec, Tintin is apart of every kid's life. You can find Tintin in every book store, with pictures and posters lining the windows.
tintinroxs
#12 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 22:41
Ya, like someone said earlier, it's not really popular here in the US. I'm like the only Tintin fan where I live.
MisterRastapopoulos
#13 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 23:18
Surprisingly, Tintin is very popular in Ontario. When we have friends visiting, most of them see my Tintin collection and say "Hey, I have that one." I think that the movie has definitely boosted the popularity of the books.
adventuretimewtintinandsnowy
#14 · Posted: 8 Jan 2012 05:23
Either we have the least Tintin fans of any country, or I just don't live near any of them, because here in the US it's difficult to find anyone who even knows Tintin is a person! Now that the movie is out, sometimes people will say "Oh, Tintin? That ginger kid with the dog and the pirate? Sure, I've heard of him." But it's not just the kids, even the adults have no idea! I don't know a single bookstore that sells the books, or really any store at all that sells anything Tintin-related. Maybe it's just where I live, but I feel like we're severely lacking in Tintinologists over here!
Magpie
#15 · Posted: 8 Jan 2012 20:37
MisterRastapopoulos:
Surprisingly, Tintin is very popular in Ontario.

Yeah, I live in Ontario too! I think why Tintin is so popular in Ontario is partially because we're on the Quebec border, so alot of french-speaking people from Quebec move or visit here, bringing Tintin along with them!
MisterRastapopoulos
#16 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 01:22
Magpie:
Yeah, I live in Ontario too! I think why Tintin is so popular in Ontario is partially because we're on the Quebec border, so alot of french-speaking people from Quebec move or visit here, bringing Tintin along with them!

Yes, that's definitely one of the reasons.
On another, note do you live in the Toronto region? If so, you should visit the AGO museum in downtown Toronto - they have references to Tintin everywhere. It was a lot of fun!
Azvee
#17 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 05:36
My brother and I have managed to grow a small group of Tintin fans in the US. I mean very small, counting the two of us it's a group of six. But, as kids we had to go the the UK to learn about him, so I am going along with the well deserved assumption that almost no one in the US knows who Tintin is.
Becky
#18 · Posted: 10 Jan 2012 11:47
I live in New Zealand, I remember watching it as a little girl on t.v. But never once saw merchandise or anything like that. I see the comics now in store because of the movie and a few books from the movie.
ourherotintin
#19 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 02:47
I live in South Korea. I don't think that many people know Tintin! (and we pronounce Tintin as Ttangttang, which I don't prefer) It's such a shame that we don't publish Alph-Art here - I haven't seen it anywhere! And we don't have Tintin shops, merchandise, or animations... god, I wish Tintin was famous here!
Savvy
#20 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 03:14
laloga:
If you ask someone about Tintin, they think you mean "Rin Tin Tin." *sigh*

Yea i know what you mean every time i took someone to go see the Tintin movie (which was 5 times) they all said "so this is Rin Tin Tin, right"
Tintin is not very popular in the US. The only ones i know that are a Tintin fan besides me is my french teacher and my cousin who introduced me to the comics.

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!