Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in America: Miracle working boomerang?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

AngelofLight
#11 · Posted: 17 Jan 2012 02:18
jock123:
This appears to be largely anecdotal, or only found in fiction. I’ve not been able to find a single documented case of a person being killed; that’s not to say it hasn’t happened, or couldn’t happen, it just suggests that it is such a rare occurrence that it can be considered not that much of a threat.

True. I'm not really a boomerang expert, but one of my first memories after moving to Australia is watching my father and his friends throw boomerangs in a field, and telling me to be careful because they're dangerous etc. and they chase you when they come back. I've been a little afraid of them ever since!
glendale
#12 · Posted: 17 Jan 2012 02:59
Tintinrulz:
People have been killed by boomerangs but it was rare

Boomerang accidents killed 9 and injured 87 in Australia last year
Harrock n roll
#13 · Posted: 17 Jan 2012 19:40
glendale:

That's quite a frightening statistic! It means if you have a boomerang accident you have roughly a one in ten chance of being killed. What was the source for this?
tuhatkauno
#14 · Posted: 17 Jan 2012 20:30
glendale:

I admit, boomerangs are lethal weapons no matter whether you know how to handle them or not. I wonder if the killed ones are those who threw the boomerangs and got hit by own boomerang or unlucky pedestrians.
AngelofLight
#15 · Posted: 17 Jan 2012 21:38
tuhatkauno:
I wonder if the killed ones are those who threw the boomerangs and got hit by own boomerang or unlucky pedestrians.

I'd say it would probably be a mixture. the killed ones would probably be hit, but quite a few of the injured would be throwers.
Seven
#16 · Posted: 20 Jan 2012 12:11
Wow i cant believe I stumbled on this forum!!!, i actually got hit by a boomerang (which i threw) and had a bruise on my chest. When i moved to Australia i threw it for the first time, (luckily i didn't throw it that hard), and was shocked when it came flying back at me. So if thrown with full strength properly it would very easily kill you if it hit you on the head.
Beatles123
#17 · Posted: 23 Jan 2012 16:54
Thing is was the boomerang intending to knock him out or kill him? Because if you got knocked out he could just tell them later but on the other hand this could have been overlooked before hand in which case they probably would have an evacuation.
snowybella
#18 · Posted: 16 Jun 2017 12:40
Balthazar:
makes it hard to believe it would then have enough energy to turn round and continue its flight back to its owner!

Maybe the boomerang had a built-in nuclear motor from Explorers on the Moon, and had extremely tiny directional thrusts to give it enough energy to turn round and reach its owner?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!