Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Tintin and Martine

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Ladybird
#31 · Posted: 17 Oct 2011 04:29
I personally like the idea of Tintin getting a girlfriend. Herge mentioned that he thinks that Tintin ages about 4 or 5 years throughout the course of the series and I think he really does grow up (not that he wasn't mature to begin with).

I feel like in the later series he's starting to experiment a little with his identity, like changing his pants. I like to think of him going to college. Maybe that's just because I'm in the middle of applications myself and like to think about Tintin's essay or extracurriculars (Hi I'm Tintin my interests include going to the moon, organizing bloodless coups, breaking up forgery rings, searching for treasure, and rescuing my friend from the clutches of a fascist regime.)

I also feel that Herge was experimenting with the characters a little bit and beginning to deconstruct his previous work in such albums as Tintin and the Picaros and The Castafiore Emerald. If Tintin just wants to stay at Marlinspike maybe a lady friend isn't so far fetched.
sliat_1981
#32 · Posted: 3 Jan 2012 07:13
Tintin has better taste than that. If Herge wanted her to be a love interest, he's have made her better looking.
Tintinrulz
#33 · Posted: 4 Jan 2012 00:06
You can hardly work out her looks from some VERY rough scribbles. Remember the woman advertising Loch Lomond on TV in Tintin and the Picaros? He's quite capable of drawing good-looking women.
Balthazar
#34 · Posted: 4 Jan 2012 00:43
Yes, all of Hergé's characters - including Tintin and Haddock - tend to look pretty far from their actual selves in Hergé's rough scribble stages (often done in biro for these later books, I think). Its at the pencil rough stage that their proper features take proper shape, and I'm not sure the Alph-Art pencil roughs extend as far as Martine's appearance in the story, do they? (I'll need to go and look that up now!)

In any case, though, would Tintin be so shallow as to choose or reject a potential girlfriend purely on looks? Surely her abilities in improvised escapology, punching baddies, and car twocking would count for more with him. ;-)
Tintinrulz
#35 · Posted: 4 Jan 2012 00:52
No, you're right. Tintin wouldn't choose/reject a girl based on looks alone. She'd have to be equally adventurous. Even though Herge set up Martine as having a thing for Tintin, I feel she's too emotionally soft for him, but who knows? Maybe, being the protector of others, he'd cherish that role.
Jelsemium
#36 · Posted: 13 Jan 2012 04:13
Balthazar:
Surely her abilities in improvised escapology, punching baddies, and car twocking would count for more with him

Ha ha ha! I love it! Yes, Tintin would probably want a girlfriend who was good at piloting airplanes and getting dogs to mind their manners, too!
AngelofLight
#37 · Posted: 15 Jan 2012 00:10
I can sort of picture a "female companion" for Tintin, but I don't think Herge ever would have done it. Especially not with "Miss Martine". He's just being a gentleman, and I think that when Alph-Art was finished, they mistook that for attraction. The "come and meet my parents" line actually made me laugh.

Besides, what about all us jealous fangirls?
tintinsgf
#38 · Posted: 21 Jan 2012 10:27
Tintin and Martine can become a sweet couple, but at the Alph-Art, the best they can have is only being friends. I think it is just way too quick for either of them (especially Tintin) to be romantically attracted just in one book. I think it takes quite a long time between those two before they become romantically related to each other, perhaps the quickest time is three books (Alph-Art and two other, never-expected books).

Balthazar:
In any case, though, would Tintin be so shallow as to choose or reject a potential girlfriend purely on looks?

Of course he won't. I definitely think he'll look deeper into her personality.
Jelsemium
#39 · Posted: 27 Jan 2012 03:18
I don't think Tintin would choose a girlfriend purely on looks. However, when a person starts dating, good looks are one of the first things that attracts a person. It wpould have been interesting to see Tintin go on a date.

I can see his first date go spectacularly wrong and percipitate one of his adventures. For example, Tintin and Martine might go to the movies and Tintin spots a) a crime in progress, b) an old enemy, c) both and rushes off to investigate.

I also have an amusing image of Tintin winding up at the opera, listening to Bianca Castafiore...
printemps
#40 · Posted: 12 Feb 2012 20:24
AngelofLight:
Especially not with "Miss Martine". He's just being a gentleman, and I think that when Alph-Art was finished, they mistook that for attraction. The "come and meet my parents" line actually made me laugh.

I absolutely agree!
The line was hilarious - especially in the context: "it was awful..., many people died..." - "maybe you should come and meet my parents?" - *facepalm*

I can think of a love-interest for Tintin. I agree that she should be as adventurous as the titular character, but she shouldn't be a female-replica of him. So there should be something different...
As for Haddock and Castafiore, I think that would be a truly perfect match, in a comedical way. But it's not a problem - minding that Herge treated none of his characters (not a single one, including Tintin) - too seriously anyway.

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!