Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How popular is Tintin in your country?

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Seven
#21 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 04:34
As brought out previously, here in Australia Tintin is not that popular, in fact it took me over 7 years to collect all of the comics and they were very expensive. However, because of the release of the new movie its becoming popular slowly, still not too many people are even aware that the movie was based on a comic! which is sad :(
Tintinrulz
#22 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 05:14
Yes, Tintin is popular in Australia. Not on the same level as Asterix but it's still well-known (at least amongst those in their late teens and older). Sadly the albums are very expensive here. I imagine most people borrow the books from the library.
AngelofLight
#23 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 06:32
Yes, I'm in Australia too. Sometimes I wish I still lived in the UK though, because my friends only know what Tintin is from the movie, a few from the cartoons.
Tintinrulz:
Sadly the albums are very expensive here.

It's so annoying! And it's really hard to find merchandise in the smaller cities. I don't want to spend heaps of money online either! Ugh. I think we should have a Tintin shop here! Please!!!
tintinsgf
#24 · Posted: 19 Jan 2012 16:59
ThompsonandThomson:
It seems that Tintin is very popular in Indonesia

Yes, it is very popular, but now with the enormous manga hype, Tintin now stands at the background. But it is still well-recognized, especially among comic enthusiasts. Just like what Rianna Lauren said :

Rianna Lauren:
and if you walk down the street and ask, "Do you know Tintin?" they'd most likely say yes. "Guy with the quiff and little white dog, going around the world and stuff.

As far as I know, Tintin is enormously popular in Indonesia at the 70s and 80s (My father's generation! OH what a retro feeling... XD), at the time its comics were still largely circulated all over the bookstores in Indonesia. Starting in the 90s (the emerge of my generation), (perhaps) the editions' circulation and amount started to decline, and at the new millenium, the 2000s, it was very hard to find Tintin at a common bookstore, until at 2004 (if I wasn't mistaken), Gramedia published Tintin again, but as far as I think it hasn't been back to the popularity it was like back then at the 70s and 80s (perhaps because of the book size, and the names, perhaps... :P).

But the comic albums were not the only means of Tintin propagation in Indonesia. There were (and still are) the TV series (Ellipse-Nelvana) which also helps propelling Tintin's popularity in Indonesia. Besides its comic albums, things that could also help most enthusiast (including me) relate to Tintin is the TV series.

Aside from reading it at one's own will, most people, including the newer generation, was introduced to Tintin by their parents (for example, Rianna Lauren was introduced to Tintin by her mother, and I was introduced to Tintin by my father). Some might also interested in reading Tintin from seeing the family's collection, a case might happened to my high school friend.

Anyway, the number of fanboys and fangirls here are quite balanced, the fanboys' number exceeded the number of the fangirls, but just a bit, it is a 55-45, boys to girls (I knew this from the Tintin id, which was based from the survey at the facebook).

One more thing! Here, people who read Tintin comics are considered as smart comic readers, for they enjoys complex plot and clever stories, but that was just a generalization, made by those who looked at people who read most European comics but Tintin, and people who read Tintin. And remember that generalization tends to mislead ;).
blisteringbarnacle
#25 · Posted: 23 Jan 2012 07:38
As an American, I can second (or fourth) that Tintin is non-existant in this country. I grew up on the border with Canada, and was exposed by watching the Ellipse-Nelvana series on Global (a Canadian TV network). Most of my friends had never even heard of him and in school was only mentioned once (French class in 8th grade, yet my teacher in High School had bound volumes of Asterix...go figure). My Dad doesn't even remember the TV show! And I never read the books until December, when I finally found out the library's inter-loan system had them (Though to be fair, before the movie, I didn't think it was worth trying). I also have never seen any Tintin merchandise for sale in my life. Tintin is the darkside of America.
tintinsgf
#26 · Posted: 24 Jan 2012 11:39
blisteringbarnacle:
Tintin is the darkside of America.

What do you mean? Is Tintin the exact opposite of comic books that existed in America? The exact opposite of any kind of American pop culture? Just asking.

But you know what, when I read this sentence, I imagine Tintin wearing a dark-colored Jedi garb (Sith garb perhaps, is a better word), with a pitch black Jedi robe and a red light saber on his belt (and he is standing in the shade, ahahaha). A little out of the topic indeed.
bshore12
#27 · Posted: 24 Jan 2012 17:18
I watched the Belvision cartoons in the New York City area in 1968-69. I thought they were great. That was all I knew of Tintin until the Spielberg movie. Now I'm catching up with the books. Great stuff! I can't wait for the next movie!
marsbar
#28 · Posted: 25 Jan 2012 06:27
Moderator action: removed some posts to keep the thread on topic.

Reminder to all members: Personal conversations belong elsewhere - these forums are not chat rooms. Please keep your future posts on topic.
Kristintin
#29 · Posted: 1 Feb 2012 15:26
I'm living in Manila, and Tintin is not popular here
calculite
#30 · Posted: 2 Feb 2012 03:04
I live in the U.S.A., and I hate to say it, but Tintin is not very well-known here. I only know Tintin because my Indian parents grew up with it, so I had influence. If I go around and ask who Tintin is, they'll say "That guy from the movie, right?" Hopefully, the new movie will arouse popularity with the comics, but actually, the movie isn't so popular! When I went to see it, the theater was less than half full. It's good that Little, Brown is still publishing the books, but I wish they still used the Hyslop font like they used to. Anyways, like all say, Tintin is definitely not popular, and is mainly known by those who have foreign influence. Still, enjoying something that is unknown is kind of nice. It makes me feel like I'm in a small little, special circle. U.S has a small cult audience, and maybe that's for the best.

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!