Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Dark and disturbing scene in the Tintin albums?

Page  Page 10 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Briony Coote
#91 · Posted: 17 Nov 2011 02:13
The sketches of Tintin and Alph-Art indicate Rastapopoulos was slated to make a return, so I wouldn't worry about him too much.

The aliens probably gave Krollspell a second chance because he had a change of heart. Mind you, that was because he found out Rastapopoulos was planning to kill him.
Otherwise, he was abetting kidnapping, hijacking, theft of funds, and possibly murder too (well, he must have known Carriedas was to be disposed of).
tintinsgf
#92 · Posted: 7 Dec 2011 16:25
Briony Coote:
2 Nightmare of Rascar Capac (Seven Crystal Balls).

That one is indeed creepy, but from my childhood memory the scene after Tintin was chloroformed in Tintin and Cigars of the Pharaoh were the creepiest scene ever in Tintin serial. I mean, his psychedelic dream, the moment Tintin was put into a sarcophagus, and even the madness of professor Sarcophagus, started from his disappearance in the desert ruin until his meeting again with Tintin in the jungle. It's all chilling me back then! (I can only went pale in horror when I started seeing him has his dream, and also when the image of Sarcophagus putting him in the sarcophagus, it seriously freaked me out). You can tell me now that it was plain funny, but tell that to the 7-year-old me, I will definitely say that it is way creepy more than funny (not mentioning that it is pretty dark-toned, too).
Briony Coote
#93 · Posted: 14 Dec 2011 05:36
@tintinsgf: The Rascar Capac nightmare in Seven Crystal balls is one that sticks out from my childhood. Even today, it scares me - all the more so because all three heroes had it, suggesting some supernatural force was involved.
mct16
#94 · Posted: 14 Dec 2011 20:12
The thing I find eerie about the Rascar Capac scene is the fact that Tintin, in bed, is suddenly surrounded by sweat. It's like he knows that he is in danger and yet there is nothing he can do about it. Very creepy.
Blistring_Barnacles
#95 · Posted: 24 Jan 2012 22:42
I think I listened to Tintin as a kid and then forgot about it for years until I rediscovered it as a teen. I have vague memories of listening to Explorers on the Moon and Tintin in Tibet. I was seriously freaked out by the Moon one. I was pretty young, so I didn't really get it, but the whole thing where Jorgen gets shot and Wolff leaves the rocket probably gave me nightmares. Just the whole atmosphere of depression in that one scared me.

I also remember thinking that the Captain was obsessed with the camera in Tibet, but I might be misremembering.

I didn't read most of them until I was older, so Rascar Capac never really got me.
Shadowwalker
#96 · Posted: 25 Jan 2012 22:42
I find the times that Tintin's put up to the firing squad disturbing (I want to say 2 or 3 times). Just the thought of seeing that happen to him…

Also, the hallucination in Cigars. That was too wierd.

(PS: I find it strange how many times Tintin gets knocked out/almost killed. Seriously, do that many people really hate him???)
tintinsgf
#97 · Posted: 5 Mar 2012 17:14
Now that I've read The Broken Ear, I've now seen the scene where Alonso and Ramon were dragged to hell by the demons. While it is disturbing in context, it turned out to me that the devils looked hilarious, which made the scene not so disturbing (at least for me).

Perhaps if I read The Broken Ear at my childhood, I'd include that too as one of the most disturbing scenes in Tintin.
Star Child
#98 · Posted: 5 Mar 2012 18:14
I've watched "The Seven Crystal Balls" endlessly, and the creepiest moment in there, I think, is when Tintin, Calculus and Haddock "dream" about Rascar Capac when staying at Terragon's place. Except I was not freaked out at all, I was struck with fear. I like scary stuff, that's why I watch it over and over again.

The things I don't like about Tintin is that:
1. He killed a rhino (See Tintin in the Congo), which, to me, is very offensive, as in South Africa, where I'm from, there are a lot of rhinos being killed as we speak.
2.I don't like it when Tintin goes to Congo because some of it is racist and there's lots of that in South Africa.

And for me, those are the most disturbing things for me in the albums.
Please don't mind me, It's only my opinion!
>>Kelsey<<
bibbygoodwin
#99 · Posted: 5 Mar 2012 20:48
I agree with almost everyone here, that the Rascar mummy is probably the scariest scene-I'm always scared of high up windows like that one now.
I also think the devils scene at the end of The Broken Ear is very dark. It doesn't leave much to the imagination, and in a book like tintin, where you believe everything you see, and it's all told so factually, it's just like a definite "yes, there is hell." However, I'm sure this isn't what Hergé thought or believed, so perhaps it should just be taken as a joke.
Fawn_Kadett
#100 · Posted: 5 Mar 2012 22:12
I also used to get freaked out by the Rascar mummy coming to life as a kid, I'd read it somewhat foolishly before bedtime and would actually skip that page! I don't think anything spooks kids out more than supernatural skeletons. The devil scene in The Broken Ear didn't freak me out as much, I thought it was quite amusing, but I am not religious in any way so I may not be as offended as some might be. A curious element of the surreal on Herge's part.

So many Tintin books managed to convey the gloomy atmosphere so well, Herge's drawing style was so simple yet very expressive. The feeling of claustrophobia in the space rocket is very evident, the whole story worried me - the idea of being stuck in space has only one fatal outcome. A similar claustrophobic but much more escapable scenario in the hands of the Birds Brothers in the basement of Marlinspike hall was also well delivered, his escape and subsequent chase was excellent in observing the art of suspense. I also recall Tintin falling into the food mixer during a factory visit in Tintin in America - a ghoulish and nasty way to die but the overall volence associated with the story almosts overweighs the scene.

Considering the fact that Tintin stories where primarily aimed at children, I still find it amazing how often guns are used - as a child I was brought up with Cowboy or Cop movies, where guns are regularly used in a similar cartoon fashion - usually a non-fatal wound would scupper the ememy. Had Herge been alive today, and say he was still producing the series, I suspect that the stories would have to undergo a sanitation of violence.

Page  Page 10 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!