Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin 3-in-1 books: love them or hate them?

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

separtedTINTIN
#41 · Posted: 14 Jan 2009 10:53
Hate them, because I have Tintin's separated copies
Spune
#42 · Posted: 9 Feb 2009 20:40
I've only recently started buying the Tintin adventures and have been buying them exclusively in the 3-in-1 format. I think they're really nice, study books and I love the uniformity of them all. The print is fine for me and I quite like it... because I tend to pay more attention towards it that way.

I really like them... so far I have the first three volumes of these 3-in-1s and I hope to complete my collection soon.
minamikousaka
#43 · Posted: 4 Feb 2012 09:13
I like the 3-in-1 books, because it saves a lot of money for me. In fact, it was even better than a 7-volume manga.
tintinroxs
#44 · Posted: 4 Feb 2012 17:18
I like them because they are small and easy to carry around.
Tintins Quiff
#45 · Posted: 4 Feb 2012 19:12
I remember the bigger format editions, and was a little apprehensive about buying the 3 in 1's, but I found them to be fine! The type is obviously smaller, but I wasn't straining to read it.

The hardback format makes them nice and durable, and I bought the 8 volume set for around £75. A bit of a treat for myself, but well worth it. If it helps anyone the individual book dimensions of the 3 in 1 boxset are 15.5 x 22.5 cm. Smaller than the single book format, but admittedly larger than I was expecting. So, the short answer is: 3 in 1's - I love 'em!
tintinsgf
#46 · Posted: 5 Feb 2012 12:36
Well, I love them. There are three stories in one book, the book is compact and easy to carry around, not mentioning that it is durable. Many people often said that small Tintin copies are a pain in the eyes, but for me, it's not, definitely not. Of course I enjoy the normal size of the copies, but I found it hard for me to focus my eyes on large pictures (not that I have a poor eyesight, it's just confusing for me on looking to large pictures, especially at close distance). With smaller copies, now I can focus both on the picture and the speech bubbles easier.

The only downside of this edition is, I think, the price. It's more expensive than the regular-size edition. But hey, it's 3-in-1 book, so it's worth buying!
Magpie
#47 · Posted: 13 Feb 2012 22:14
I love em', probably mostly for my traveling. I also started to read the Tintin books in 3-in-1 editions (they were the only format at my library), so when I learned there were single copies I thought, whoa, that's so weird! However, I own both versions, singles for the full experience, and 3-in-1 for hard-cover traveling.
snowybella
#48 · Posted: 14 Nov 2017 03:04
Personally, I prefer the single volumes. I saw one in a shop some time ago, and I gave up reading it very quickly. I wonder why they aren't the same size as the Asterix omnibuses? I have 3 of them, and they are full-size.
jock123
#49 · Posted: 14 Nov 2017 12:04
snowybella:
I wonder why they aren't the same size as the Asterix omnibuses?

Well, each range has had a variety of formats, at different times, so there's no way to make a direct comparison. Given that there is evidence in this thread that many readers do like them, it could be asked why the Asterix books aren't in the small format?
There have been full-size Tintin omnibuses in the past - WHSmith (a British bookshop chain) had an exclusive omnibus in 1985, containing Flight 714, The Secret of "The Unicorn" and Red Rackham's Treasure; there was also a Magnet paperback in 1986 entitled Tintin's Moon Adventure, combining the two Moon books.
The Making of combined the two part adventures into omnibus editions with additonal background material.
It should also be said that the Asterix series was available for many years in both black-and-white versions in a standard paperback novel size, and colour small format individual paperbacks, roughly the same size as the Tintin stories appear in the omnibus set. The Tintin books have been made available as small format hardbacks in French (and probably other languages too).
So I guess this is just a long-winded way of saying that publishers have looked, and will continue to look, for ways in which to repackage material, to reach the biggest audience they can!

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!