Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

What has the Tintin series taught you?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

MrCutts
#21 · Posted: 6 Sep 2008 05:08
Taught me how not to get rid of sticky plasters
NikkiRoux
#22 · Posted: 5 Feb 2012 06:58
The series had some influence in teaching me how to draw.

It played a part in making me interested in travelling, learning a few languages, taking up self-defense, and a few other things.

Reading the French versions of some of the books taught me things I would probably never learn in French class, such as French onomatopoiea and versions of "words" which are something like "uh" and "eh" in English. And I finally found out how to spell the expression "Hop!", which does not seem to have an English equivalent, that I kept hearing from my French teacher.
Blistring_Barnacles
#23 · Posted: 9 Feb 2012 00:08
Tintin, or more accurately Captain Haddock, has (indirectly) taught me:

A cercopithecine is a type of Old World monkey.

An anacoluthon is a sentence that lacks grammatical sequence, such as While in the garden the door slammed shut.

A coelacanth is a large, bony marine fish with a 3-lobed tail fin and fleshy pectoral fins.

Looking up obscure words in the dictionary is fun!

Tintin also taught not to try jumping from a wall onto the top of a moving vehicle (Black Island.) Bad Idea. :)

Edited to add:
NikkiRoux:
The series had some influence in teaching me how to draw.

Me too!
Brianna
#24 · Posted: 9 Feb 2012 00:50
MrCutts:
Taught me how not to get rid of sticky plasters

I know, right? Like somehow shaking one's hand would make it go away! The trick is to fold it, people xD
Magpie
#25 · Posted: 27 Feb 2012 23:48
Ohhhhh! I know!

Tintin taught me that a Lepidoptera (not too sure about the spelling...) is a butterfly!
blisteringbarnacle
#26 · Posted: 29 Feb 2012 03:48
Hmmm,

I learned about the Paris Meridian, Chroloform, about the Japanese occupation of China, the Nazis made a shark-shaped submarine in World War II and also tried ultrasonic weapons. I also learned about King Fisal II of Iraq (basis of Abdullah) and a lot of Belgian history.
hadtins
#27 · Posted: 3 Mar 2014 18:28
Well, quite a number of things which have been mentioned before. But one more thing, that is, how to put an end to annoying phone calls by insurance agents. Thanks to Captain Haddock for that. And I learnt the true meaning of adventure from Tintin.
Rajpal
#28 · Posted: 5 Mar 2014 04:48
Have learnt a lot of things such friendship, bravery, a sense of adventure, honesty and above all - loyalty.

Tintin will always have a special place in my heart as the first ever Tintin book (The Crab With the Golden Claws) was given to me by Dad when I was about 7 or 8 years old. From that day onwards (32 years ago), I became a lifelong fan.

I owe this to my Dad and that memory will always stay with me. My Dad passed away last month and this love for Tintin is dedicated to him. RIP Dad.
creativejournalist
#29 · Posted: 9 Jul 2015 03:51
I can't quite put a finger on it, but there were a lot of things this series has taught me. Though I may not say which story that lesson was from, the important thing is you learned something from it.

Throughout the years, Tintin has taught me to keep adventure close to my heart. Curiosity brings about new things to explore, may they be good or bad. When reading his adventures, it's like he's telling me to go and see the world.

Another is that true friendship lasts. I can proudly say that this is shown in every adventure, but very evident in Tintin in Tibet. I can't say that I didn't cry while reading the comic... because the impact of the story has touched the heart. Even moreso when I researched that story, all the more I loved it.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!