Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Dark and disturbing scene in the Tintin albums?

Page  Page 11 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

tintinsgf
#101 · Posted: 9 Mar 2012 16:01
Anyway, has anobody mentioned Corporal Diaz's death? Might be not one of the darkest moment in Tintin, but it is quite a disturbing dark humor, when viewed from other point of view.
mct16
#102 · Posted: 9 Mar 2012 16:29
tintinsgf:
has anobody mentioned Corporal Diaz's death?

Well, the fact that he gets blown up by his own bomb is countered by the humour of getting the timing wrong due to a power breakdown and the fact that he was about to be re-instated to his old rank.

What's more, at the risk of sounding ghoulish, I'd say that in his case it is a matter of "couldn't happen to a nicer person". After all, he's trying to kill Alcazar not out of a love for liberty or democracy but for his own selfish reasons and personal grievances: demotion from colonel to corporal.
tintinsgf
#103 · Posted: 9 Mar 2012 16:38
mct16:
After all, he's trying to kill Alcazar not out of a love for liberty or democracy but for his own selfish reasons and personal grievances: demotion from colonel to corporal.

I realized that at the first time reading The Broken Ear. Perhaps it's not dark at all when you consider his reason on killing Alcazar. But when taken out of context, it's just become dark.
skutfan
#104 · Posted: 10 Mar 2012 11:13
Hi this is my first post.

One part that was very influential was when the Inca creature Raskar Capac (I apologise for bad spelling) threw the crystal ball into someone’s room in The Seven Crystal Balls. My younger brother (4) went into my older brother’s room after watching the animated cartoon on video, while he was sleeping, and threw a large toy plastic sphere at him just like the crystal ball, waking him up with dismay.

Personally what I find most disturbing is in the same album there are the men of the Sanders-Hardiman expedition with the curse of screaming fits that only gets relieved at the end of Prisoners of the Sun. Second to that, when Tintin has to dodge a madman trying to cut off his head near the beginning of The Blue Lotus.
Furienna
#105 · Posted: 19 Mar 2012 06:26
The most disturbing scene to me in all of "Tintin" hasn't been mentioned yet: The hypnosis scene at the end of "Flight 714 to Sydney". Because I hate hypnosis, and I don't like the blank look at their eyes, when this happens to them. And was it even necessary for them to forget the whole adventure (I know many people claim to have been hypnotized to forget how they were abducted by aliens, but still)?

But the endless killing of animals of "Tintin in Congo" is up there too. I mean, I know it was popular (and perfectly legal) to hunt like this in Africa back in the day. But how could it have been okay to show it like this in a children's book even back in the 1930s? Hergé grew to regret this though, and he did change the rhinocerus scene. The poor cow being turned into corned beef in "Tintin in America" is creepy as well.
Blistring_Barnacles
#106 · Posted: 19 Mar 2012 07:05
Furienna:
The poor cow being turned into corned beef in "Tintin in America" is creepy as well.

And all of the 'Missing Pet' posters outside of the factory. Yeee.
I know this has been said, but my all-time scariest moment has got to be Explorers on the Moon. Poor Wolff...); A second would be the Captain's near death in Tibet.
Furienna
#107 · Posted: 19 Mar 2012 10:06
I forgot about the missing pets posters! How could I do that?

I also did find the hallucinations in "Cigars of the Pharaoh" creepy as a young girl, but now I just see them like a very weird dream. The insanity poison is another matter though. I too find that disturbing. But the hypnosis scene in "Flight 714 to Sydney" still wins in my opinion. Rascar Capac in "The seven chrystal balls" and the villains being taken to Hell in "The broken ear" doesn't bother me as much together as that one scene does alone.
skater95
#108 · Posted: 19 Mar 2012 21:37
I'd have to say that the madness poison, the mummy's curse and Dr.Muller's "treatment" in The Black Island are the "scariest" moments to me. The most disturbing would be the devils taking Alonso and Ramon to hell. Wolf's sacrifice and the Captain's attempted sacrifice in Tibet were more sad to me than scary, a real tug on the heartstrings, that's for sure.
Ayesha
#109 · Posted: 20 Mar 2012 17:40
Furienna:
The most disturbing scene to me in all of "Tintin" hasn't been mentioned yet: The hypnosis scene at the end of "Flight 714 to Sydney".

I quite agree. I wasn't myself for an hour after I first saw that Tintin got hypnotized and went in a UFO!
Marquis de Gorgonzola
#110 · Posted: 20 Mar 2012 17:56
The whole story of Flight 714 is dark and disturbing, I think it's because of the Aliens and the darkness everywhere

Page  Page 11 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!