Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Question for the Brits

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Jyrki21
#21 · Posted: 28 Oct 2004 18:57
OK, I'm leaving for Heathrow in a few hours... yay!

My cousin, a Liverpool fan, wanted to make the trip to take in a game, but apparently they're not playing while I'm there (or not nearby, anyway). So we might catch a Forest game... although I also think it'd be hilarious to see a Nottingham Panthers (ice) hockey game... the National Hockey League here is having a labor dispute, so we're a little starved...

Sherwood Forest and Guy Fawkes Day, here I come! ;)

-J21
OJG
#22 · Posted: 28 Oct 2004 19:53
Why not go and see an Everton game?(!)
jockosjungle
#23 · Posted: 29 Oct 2004 00:28
Because Everton are miles away and a Liverpool fan wouldn't want to see them.
Go see Forest. The Rotherhan game next Wednesday is only £10...!

Rik
OJG
#24 · Posted: 29 Oct 2004 12:10
That WAS intended as a sarcastic comment, but unfortunately I don't know how to use emoticons or anything much else like that (hence the (!) )
jockosjungle
#25 · Posted: 29 Oct 2004 13:21
Sorry OJG, I assumed it was probably but I wasn't sure.

Rik
OJG
#26 · Posted: 29 Oct 2004 23:10
No problemo
Jyrki21
#27 · Posted: 10 Nov 2004 04:16
Well, I'm back in Toronto now... thanks everyone for their tips!

jockosjungle:Go see Forest. The Rotherhan game next wednesday is only £10

Indeed, I was there! My cousin and I were sitting in the "second" row (which apparently means 5th row at Brian Clough Memorial Stadium), surrounded by various fans shouting things like "One too many Mars bars, Tank!" and calling their own players "tossers" and such. Great fun, and a pretty interesting game, as Rotherham blew a 2-0 lead and settled for a 2-2 draw when their token hot-dogging Brazilian got red-carded in the box and Rotherham surrendered a penalty kick.

Nottingham on a whole was very fun... I was staying in Beeston with my cousin, but we made sure to go into the city a few other times. Things I learned (that's "learnt" for the Brits) about Nottinghamsters:

1) They don't know what they're called, hence "Nottinghamsters"

2) Most of them either have never watched TV or movies, or else are terrible with picking out a North American accent. People had loads of trouble guessing where we were from (and believe me, Canadian accents sound far more like American accents than Australian, French, Spanish or Welsh ones, to name of the few guesses we incurred).

3) It is far easier to talk to strangers in bars and in the street when you're a foreigner. Things that would have elicited strange looks or the third degree over here -- for instance, after a few beers I told a girl with similar-styled glasses to mine that she'd clearly stolen them, but that I'd forgive her -- didn't bother the easygoing locals.

4) Anyone who claims that England outside of London isn't that expensive is lying.

5) People who work/eat at chippers not only have extremely outspoken opinions, but they're very anxious to share them all with you.

6) Based on the local diet that I observed, all of Nottinghamshire should be dead by now. ;)

7) What is written on a sign may or may not bear some relation to the true nature of things. This was more a London thing than a Nottingham thing, though. Examples: "Food served all day!" "Open until midnight!" "Hammersmith & City line does not run past this station late nights!"

8) For a nation that's not big into ice hockey, the Nottingham Panthers have a stunningly beautiful home rink, and a very prominently placed one too.

Thanks again for the tips... I had a great time all told. I'd been to England as recently as 2001, but this was the first time I actually stayed for more than a day since 1991!

-J21
jockosjungle
#28 · Posted: 10 Nov 2004 09:27
Forest are awful at the moment, and our fans turn on our team at a moments notice. I always think it more helpful to encourage the team when doing badly but I am in the minority on this.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, England is pretty expensive compared to Canada and indeed most places, hence I buy almost all my DVD's from Canada

Rik

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!