Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Hergé and Studio Hergé /

Tintin and Mickey Mouse: Like two peas in a pod?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Harrock n roll
#21 · Posted: 29 Mar 2012 19:23
Lurker:
Both Hergé and Gottfredson directly influenced each other and then they did have a shared source of inspiration: Buster Keaton.
Actually, the Buster Keaton/ Mickey Mouse connection pre-dates the Gottfredson comics.
The famous 1928 animated Mickey Mouse film Steamboat Willie was inspired by Buster Keaton's Steamboat Bill, Jr. from the same year, which was Keaton's last silent movie.
Steamboat Willie is actually an animated parody of Steamboat Bill, Jr. (although Keaton's film was originally inspired by a song called "Steamboat Bill" by Arthur Collins).
Cartoons often parodied the big films of the day, so there's nothing unusual in this.

As a matter of fact, I'll probably be starting a new thread on Buster Keaton's influence on Hergé quite soon, since I've re-watched a few of his films quite recently and have made notes on some possible borrowed sequences!
rodney
#22 · Posted: 30 Mar 2012 00:55
Hi Lurker!

Love you post, if this is your first then bring more on I say!!

Lurker:
I've been reading Fantagraphic Books' excellent Mickey Mouse Volumes by Floyd Gottfredson
Have you extra infomation on this book such as publisher, ISBN details?
Would love to add this to my collection as it would be a great comparison book to read.
Lurker
#23 · Posted: 30 Mar 2012 07:23
rodney:
Have you extra information on this book such as publisher, ISBN details?
You can find all the information on Amazon for Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Vols. 1 & 2

Harrock n roll:
Cartoons often parodied the big films of the day, so there's nothing unusual in this.
Exactly so, and so it is even today (in every Simpsons episode). Gottfredson did it as well in his Mickey Mouse comic strips.

One of Hergé's favourite books was Treasure Island. Mickey Mouse sails for a Treasure Island must have been something that impressed young Hergé very much.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!