Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

"Unicorn" Movie: Easter Egg hunt! [Warning - may include spoilers!]

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Sapristi
#1 · Posted: 25 Mar 2012 23:39
With the movie being released on DVD and blue-ray in most places now, I hope I'm not the only one pausing it every so often to look for those lovely little references and nods to the Tintin universe.
May I suggest this thread be for just that?

One tiny one that I found was in Tintin's apartment on the desk in his study- a key-ring with the word "Speedol" on it- a reference to the oil company in The Land of Black Gold.
Magpie
#2 · Posted: 26 Mar 2012 02:59
I saw the Arumbayan Fetish on his mantle in the living room, from The Broken Ear. It must be the one that he bought, thinking it was the real one!

Oh, I also remembered, when Tintin is looking for his magnifying glass and it shows the wall behind his desk and he says "Where did I put that magnifying glass?" (or something like that), the plaque on the wall to the right is a picture from Tintin in America, where he is waving to the crowd in his parade. There is a key underneath the picture.
Archie Haddock
#3 · Posted: 27 Mar 2012 03:19
I've spotted many in fact! Though, I had to watch it two times to find them...
Here are the ones I can remember at the moment:

1. When Snowy is chasing the cat in the apartment and knocks over a vase that has a very similar looking dragon from the Blue Lotus on it and Tintin catches it.

2. When looking for his magnifying glass, it shows on his wall pages from the newspaper framed. They talk about Cigars of the Pharaoh, King Ottokar's Sceptre (Note I probably spelled Ottokar wrong!) and I can't remember the last one, sorry!

Moderator Note: You have spelled Ottokar incorrectly - but it would have been the work of only a moment to check it before posting, rather than just typing it wrong twice...! They have been corrected!

3.) When his flat has been ransacked for the 2 time, Tintin says the famous line from Secret of The Unicorn, "My flat has been ransacked!"

4.) Captain calls Tintin baby-faced, a reference from someone calling Tintin that from one certain book - I can't really remember, but I think it's from Tintin in America.

5.) When Snowy tips over the crate, It has the crab from crab with the golden claws on it, and is full of cans, which trip the bad guys.

6.) When in Begghar, while the two natives are putting down the poster for the Nightingale, the "O" in "Castafiore" is an emerald... Look familiar?

7.) I don't remember really at one point, but it shows a plane on a map... It says Shanghai and Tibet, obvious references to The Blue Lotus and Tintin in Tibet!

That's all I can really remember, but if I see more in the countless more times I'll be watching the movie, I won't forget to post!
munk
#4 · Posted: 31 Mar 2012 15:20
Cameos in Tintin

Doesn't Sakharine look a bit like Spielberg?
Doesn't Thompson look a bit like Jackson?
And who is it Omar ben Salad looks like?
jock123
#5 · Posted: 31 Mar 2012 22:48
munk:
Doesn't Sakharine look a bit like Spielberg?

Not really, to me, and it’s the first time I’ve heard this suggested; friends of mine were convinced that Omar ben Salaad was a dead ringer for Mr. Spielberg, and I don’t really see that either.

I have heard from someone close to the production that he does have some form of cameo in the film, but my money would be on Crabtree, the market-seller voiced by Enn Reitel (who also does Nestor and Nestor’s ancestor on The Unicorn).

I certainly can’t see the likeness between the detectives and Peter Jackson; he’s more likely to have been incorporated into Captain Haddock, given his appearance in that guise in test footage for Snowy, and Spielberg joking that he’d have given him the part if he’d been making it live-action!
kygoober16
#6 · Posted: 3 Apr 2012 13:39
I noticed at the beginning of the movie, the man drawing Tintin looks like Hergé, and he draws him as Tintin looks the books. Do you think they did a good job on Hergé's look?
skater95
#7 · Posted: 3 Apr 2012 19:21
kygoober16
Yeah! I loved Hergé's cameo! "You look familiar, have I drawn you before?" that was really cool :) and to answer your question, yeah, I think they did a pretty good job on Hergé's look! That part was great (:
King Snowy
#8 · Posted: 3 Apr 2012 21:11
I swear I saw general Alcazar in the background just after Tintin purchases the unicorn in the market, Also the cat snowy chases looks an awful lot like the Marlinspike cat.
Revercub24
#9 · Posted: 18 Jul 2012 19:22
Right at the start of the opening credits, if you squint you can see a picture of Skut just behind the typewriter.
cigee
#10 · Posted: 21 Sep 2012 01:25
Nobody mentioned my favorite Easter Egg: during the opening scene at the market, on one of the buildings in the background, you see the ad for the newspaper from Red Rackham's treasure, "News that hits" (sorry, I'm more familiar with the original French, so I forget the English title of the newspaper.) That, and the stripped blue-and-white paper on which Hergé's drawing are displayed.

Another one I liked was Barnaby's newspaper when he's shot (the one he spells Karaboudjan on) is Le Petit Vingtième.

I haven't had time for the forum during the past few months - I should be back more regularly now.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!